cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 70-200mm f/2.8 Zoom not functioning; sticks at random focal lengths

NickGagnard
Apprentice

I just purchased a brand new RF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM lens.

Directly out of the box the lens was locked up between 70mm and 100mm (No, the lock was not engaged) After fidgeting with the zoom back and forth I noticed a click coming from inside the lens. After a few (gentle) turns back and forth the lens allowed me to push to 200mm but would not return back down to 70mm. It will now either go between ~80mm and 200mm or 70mm and ~190mm, it will never make a smooth turn from 70mm-200mm and will occassionally completely lock up at 100mm.

Has anyone experience anything even remotely similar to this problem out of the box and will Canon repair this free of charge or do I need to return the lens? 

To be frank, I am looking for a solution that does NOT include returning the lens as the lenses are obviously in short supply and the time to get a replacement will be extensive I'm sure.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Either return the lens, or contact Canon Support.  It sounds like you have a bad lens.  Mailing it off somewhere seems to almost be inevitable.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

NickGagnard
Apprentice
Heard. I suppose that's all I can do.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I guess you need to decide if owning a lens that doesn't work or waiting on a replacement is better.  I would choose th replacement route. A call to Canon is a good idea 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@NickGagnard wrote:

I just purchased a brand new RF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM lens.

Directly out of the box the lens was locked up between 70mm and 100mm (No, the lock was not engaged) After fidgeting with the zoom back and forth I noticed a click coming from inside the lens. After a few (gentle) turns back and forth the lens allowed me to push to 200mm but would not return back down to 70mm. It will now either go between ~80mm and 200mm or 70mm and ~190mm, it will never make a smooth turn from 70mm-200mm and will occassionally completely lock up at 100mm.

Has anyone experience anything even remotely similar to this problem out of the box and will Canon repair this free of charge or do I need to return the lens? 

To be frank, I am looking for a solution that does NOT include returning the lens as the lenses are obviously in short supply and the time to get a replacement will be extensive I'm sure.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Why not send your lens in for repair? That may be quicker return then returning the defective lens and waiting for a new one. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements