cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 600MM F11 Advice

Cantrell
Enthusiast

All,

Asking for advice on the above lens. I have a EOS R10 and have been looking for a longer focal length lens than the RF 100-400MM lens that I have. I have an opportunity of buying a RF 600 MM F11 IS STM lens that has had very little use. The only prime lens that I have is a Sigma 500 MM lens. I have very little experience using prime lenses. I would be using this lens at the beach to shoot pictures of birds. Is this lens worth purchasing? Thanks in advance for your response.

6 REPLIES 6

AlexWhales
Contributor

The RF 600mm f/11 IS STM lens could be a great addition to your gear, especially for bird photography at the beach. Here are a few points to consider:

1. Reach and Portability: The 600mm focal length offers significant reach, allowing you to capture distant subjects like birds without disturbing them. Its compact and lightweight design makes it easier to handle compared to other lenses with similar focal lengths.

2. Aperture: The fixed f/11 aperture means it's not the fastest lens in low-light conditions. However, for shooting in bright outdoor environments like the beach, this shouldn't be a major issue. You might need to bump up your ISO or rely on good lighting conditions to ensure sharp shots.

3. Image Stabilization: The lens’s built-in image stabilization is a big plus, especially when shooting handheld at such a long focal length. It will help you achieve sharp images even without a tripod.

4. Prime Lens: Since you already have some experience with a prime lens (the Sigma 500mm), you’ll find that the RF 600mm will give you even more reach. However, being a prime lens, it lacks the flexibility of a zoom, so you’ll need to move around more to frame your shots.

5. Compatibility with Your EOS R10: The lens will work well with your EOS R10, offering impressive reach for wildlife photography. The crop factor of the R10 will further extend the effective focal length, making it even more suitable for capturing distant subjects.

If the lens is in good condition and offered at a reasonable price, it seems like a worthwhile investment, especially for bird photography at the beach.

Alex,

Thank you for your comments. In my original post I put 500MM. It should have been 50MM. I have very little experience with a prime lens.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Sigma 500 MM lens."

What Sigma lens do you have from Sigma that is a 500mm tele? Sigma made an excellent 500mm f4 but it is very expensive. If you have one you are lucky indeed.

"I have very little experience using prime lenses."

There isn't any difference in using a prime except you can't zoom. Today (subject to change as new lenses come out all the time) still my best recommendation for this type lens is the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1,

I missed up on my original post. I have a Sigma 50MM lens. I realize a huge difference in focal length. The Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG. 

Thank you for your comment. I need to quit posting late at night so I do not make these kind of mistakes. My brain moves faster than my fingers.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

OK that clears that up. The big Sigma 500mm f4 lens is a fantastic lens one to drool over for sure. But the Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art is also a fantastic lens. Perhaps the sharpest, at least 50mil, made or ever made. Not to belabor the topic but the Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art is the sharpest lens made, IMHO, of course. And in my job and now my hobby there have been lots and lots of lenses. Hundreds!

For you, I still suggest you check out the big Tammy zoom. Make sure it is the G2 model because the first model isn't all that good. Its OK but the G2 is in another class in several specs.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. They are very helpful.

Announcements