cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM Blurred Edges on Multiple Cameras

leighsandlin
Apprentice

Can someone suggest what might be happening to the edges of my pictures? This picture was taken using an eos r6 mark ii, but I had the same result with eos r8 last week. Lens was rf 24-240. The upload makes this picture look like the whole thing is soft, but it’s actually sharp - the problem is just the edges. 

test.jpeg

had the same result from an eos r8 last week…photo taken with rf 24-240 lens. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

leighsandlin
Apprentice

Never mind…I fixed the problem 

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

leighsandlin
Apprentice

Never mind…I fixed the problem 

Glad to hear it!  In case someone else comes along with the same problem, would you mind letting us know how you fixed it?  That could really help someone else out in the future!

I recently began having the same problem with blurred borders to my photos using the RF 24-240mm F-4-6.3 IS USM. I don't notice this at the shortest focal lengths, but anything over about 40mm has this problem. My camera is an R6 MII. I purchased the lens in May, and it did not develop this problem until very recently. I don't have this problem when I switch lenses. I see short, narrow, colored lines perpendicular to the border. They remind me of color bars in a test pattern. Sometimes I see the lines around the entire border, and other times it is apparent on only two borders. Does anyone have any suggestions? Unfortunately, I have not figured this out on my own.
Color bars around borderColor bars around border

SWS
Apprentice

This is apparently a Lightroom issue. I changed the LR lens profile from the most recent V3 back to V2, and the problem went away.  I see that I am out of date on the firmware for my camera. I will update that and see if the lens profile V3 works properly.

I have had the same issue with the current version of PS, so I would suggest it is likely Adobe's lens correction software that is the issue.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I am not sure I would go with LR as the problem, could be but FIRST get a new SD from a known good source and a top brand. I can't ever remember LR doing or causing that.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I als doubt FW is the issue unless it address updating or installing a new lens, your specific model.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Your lens has a zoom ratio of 10:!, the ratio of the longest focal length to the shortest FL.  That puts it in the category of super zoom in my book.  Super zooms are not known for having great edge to edge, corner to corner sharpness.  

The best zooms have zoom ratios of 3:1 or less.  The laws of physics will always prevail.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

SWS
Apprentice

I found an extensive discussion about this topic on the Adobe Community. It is, in fact, a problem in moving from V2 to V3 of the Adobe lens profile for the Canon RF 24-240mm. Seehttps://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw-bugs/p-canon-24-240-lens-profile-v3/idc-p/14834475

The fix for now is reverting to V2. Interestingly, I found the same discussion from 2021 in moving from V1 to V2 of this lens profile. The solution then, as now, was to move to the previous version. Eventually the bug was fixed in V2. This has been reported to Adobe, so presumably they will fix the V3 issue at some point.

Announcements