cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 100-500 Lens with 1.4 or 2X Extender

waldojess
Contributor

Wondering to get either a 1.4 or a 2X extender with the Rf 100-500 lens. Two concerns, one is a lot of wildlife photography is in lower lighting conditions and the 2X drops it to 11/14. Also, was surprised to see that the extender only works 300-500mm (not 1-299mm). Anyone have any experience with this lens and extenders?

22 REPLIES 22

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I just re-read the entire thread and realized I missed one your questions.  You can't attach the TC to the 100-500 until the zoom is set to 300 or >.  When you zoom out, the zoom stops at 300mm.  Like any zoom when you reach the start or end of its range.  300-500mm when mounted.  The zoom behaves like the Sigma.  No extender - when you go from 100 > 500 its a 2 grip twist.  From 300-500 its a single grip, twist.  Short throw.  Just something I noticed when I test fitted.  These are the zoom ranges you'll be at anyway when using the extender.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Guyster
Contributor

Yeah, there's no reason to use the extender at anything under 300 because the lens will get you there (well, almost) without it...unless you're just getting too much light.  😋  Thanks again Rick and I hope you enjoy your Sunday!

Guyster
Contributor

I did some testing today comparing the Sigma 150-600 C to the RF100-500 +1.4x extender.  With both lenses zoomed all the way (600mm and 700mm respectively).  I set the Sigma lens at F/8 and the Canon at F/10, at 1/1000.  I adjusted the ISO to compensate for the Canon's smaller aperture.  I used a tripod and turned off image stabilization for both lenses. It's really hard to tell the difference at the center of the images, but I think the Canon has just a slight edge.  Some of this may be due to the extra 100mm, but in some images, it looked a smidge sharper.  Out towards the edges though, the Canon was clearly superior.  I was photographing still objects (a telephone pole, a palm tree, and a different tree).  I turned on IS and I could see the Sigma focus point dancing around while the Canon was much more stable.  I think this might give the Canon a bit of an advantage when shooting moving subjects hand-held.  Here's a couple shots that show what I'm talking about.231A3396.JPG231A3400.JPG

Announcements