cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RF 100-400mm lens image stabilization stopped working

nguyenhg
Apprentice

My RF 100-400mm f5.6-8 IS USM has been working fine with my EOS R10, but today the IS function stopped working. The Stabilizer switch on the lens is in the ON position, but the waving hand symbol on the screen does not appear, and in the menu, the only stabilization option is the digital movie stabilization. I have turned the camera off and on several times, and removed and reconnected the lens, but nothing changed. My other RF lens, 18-150mm, works fine. Any idea what could cause this or how I can fix it?  Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nguyenhg
Apprentice

Thanks all for your replies. After corresponding with Canon tech support and others on Facebook forums, it turns out that that is the way that lens works. There is nothing wrong with it. The waving hand and stabilization option in the menu only appear if there is no physical IS switch on the lens (IS control is through menu only) or if the camera body has IBIS. With my setup, I have to look at the switch on the lens and confirm that stabilization is on by looking at a distance object through the viewfinder or on the LCD screen and verify that the image is indeed stabilized.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried cycling the lens stabilizer switch a few times?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Is the camera/lens combo on a tripod, or are you hand holding it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I reviewed the R10's manual.  It states that the IS menu option appears when an attached lens doesn't have an IS switch.  Note that the [IS mode] setting is not displayed when you are using IS lenses that have an IS switch. 

shadowsports_7-1689651937738.png

Movie Digital IS:

shadowsports_4-1689651268775.png

Now here is what didn't make sense.  

Still Image Informational Display - No IS icon reference

shadowsports_5-1689651406123.png

Digital Movie IS - Has "Hand Icon" [8]

shadowsports_6-1689651487201.png

The hand is not referenced for stills mode, but we know its there if you enable IS.  Please try cycling the [Info] button.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Anonymous
Not applicable

So is what you are saying is that what nguyenhg is seeing is normal and the IS is probably working ok?

nguyenhg
Apprentice

Thanks all for your replies. After corresponding with Canon tech support and others on Facebook forums, it turns out that that is the way that lens works. There is nothing wrong with it. The waving hand and stabilization option in the menu only appear if there is no physical IS switch on the lens (IS control is through menu only) or if the camera body has IBIS. With my setup, I have to look at the switch on the lens and confirm that stabilization is on by looking at a distance object through the viewfinder or on the LCD screen and verify that the image is indeed stabilized.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements