cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R10 Zoom lens recommendations

meill
Apprentice

Hey everyone, I recently bought the R10 with the 18-45 standard lenses and I'm looking to get a new lens with higher zoom. I'm basically torn between getting an 18-150 (and travelling with that as my only lens) or getting a 55-210 and having both with me, would love to get inputs as I'm new to this world.

I must say I'm an amateur and use it mostly to travel photography, but nothing too fancy!

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Back when I shot APS-C, I owned the EF-S 18-135 and 55-250.  Both were exceptional performers.  If you intend to keep the 18-45, getting the RF-S 55-210 probably makes the most sense for you.  Yes this means occasional lens swaps.  The others lenses offer a combination of better performance from IQ, aperture and FL perspectives. The 18-45 is light weight and portable, but might be limiting in some situations where you just can't get get as close as you like.  It's basically a entry level starter lens. At some point, you may end up letting it go in favor of the other 2 lenses as staples, using the 18-150 as your everyday walk around optic.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
Much depends on your budget and what you are prepared to carry.   As my respected colleague, Rick, has said, if you get the RF-S 18-150 you have the best all-in-one solution for travelling.   This has some benefits.

1. You don't have to pack that extra 55-200 lens and deal with the bulk and weight (even though it's not huge) but the second benefit is far more significant

2. Having an all-in-one solutions, means not having to change lenses in the field means that you won't miss out on a fleeting moment where you are caught with the wrong focal range.  Changing optics on a camera, done properly, is not a fast process.  This is because taking off the lens when the camera is on will attract dust to the sensor like a magnet - it is actually slightly charged.  Dust will appear as annoying dots on all of your images and it can be avoided.

How to change a lens

1. Turn the camera off
  2. Point the face downwards and take off the lens from the body (this stops dust falling into the camera via gravity)
  3. Attach the new optic to the camera body, ensuring it is securely clicked into place.
  4. Cover the lens you have removed with the rear lens cap from the first lens, now on the camera.
  5. Turn the camera on and remove the front lens cap.

All that takes time, so having just the one lens for your travel will make your life simpler, hopefully get you the images you want, and reduce the risk of dust on your camera sensor.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I must say I'm an amateur and use it mostly to travel photography, but nothing too fancy!"

Sounds like you answered your own question. The Canon RF-S 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM Lens seems a great fit.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements