cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quandary Over Canon Kit Purchase

ScottS
Enthusiast

OK.

So I've been saving $$$ for a December purchase of a Canon 6D from B&H. I've been planning all along to go with the kit:

Canon 6D Camera

Canon 24-105mm F/4L IS USM

I know that many lenses are sharper, but the versatility of this seemed like a good deal at the $2099.00 price point on B&H.

Here's my quandary. The new Canon 24-105mm f/4L II IS USM has come out, and reports are that it is a much better lens. I've e-mailed and called B&H about which lens will be included in the future kit with the 6D.

And I've learned that it is the old lens, the 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM.

I'm extremely disappointed that they are not including the updated, new lens.

I guess I'm looking for feedback on the old, or places that sell the new as a kit with the 6D. What I have decided at this time is to go NEW, and to try to stay at the $2K price tag. I know that I can buy them separately, but that gets into the $2500 range.

Thoughts? I know that I can just get the 6D body for $1499, but I'll need some lens, and then my price point is still around $2K. Is that old lens worth going for? 

Thanks for your wisdom!

ScottS

12 REPLIES 12

Gentlemen,

I would like to share with you, Scotty P, Waddizzle, Robert, Ernie, that since my last correspondence with you, I have made the leap on two amazing lenses. I guess that may have been evident with my initial post.

But the Canon 16-35mm F/4L IS and the Canon 70-200mm F/4L IS have been amazing :)!

The "step up" to L Series lenses has changed my photography. I'm still currently shooting with my Canon 40D. Soon I plan to add the 6D and the 24-105mm F/4 to my bag. Lots of research, lots of reading on this forum, Fred Miranda, B&H, DP Review, and more, has taught me much. I've talked with quite a few photographers on blogs and forums, and have learned much.  I'm excited to continue my passion for photography with this new gear.

I do thank you four, especially, for sharing your wisdom with me. Early on, when I was posting my first question on gear, you've given me valuable support and suggestions.

Thanks for that!

Scott S 🙂

Congratulations!  Good glass you have there, and all ready to put to use on full frame too.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thanks, Scotty P 🙂

Announcements