cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please someone clear my doubt.

Nikhil
Apprentice
I just purchased Canon 1300D. While set on auto focus, my lil brother tried to forcefully fucus by rotating the focus ring by around 200deg. Will it damage anything? I'm new to this hence asking here! Kindly reply. Thank-you!
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Nikhil
Apprentice
Hi! Thanks for replying! I will keep your suggestions in mind! This is the camera kit lens. Is there a way I can check if the lens is fine? When on auto, it is focusing properly though

View solution in original post

@Nikhil wrote:
Hi! Thanks for replying! I will keep your suggestions in mind! This is the camera kit lens. Is there a way I can check if the lens is fine? When on auto, it is focusing properly though

It sounds like you have already "tested" the lens, and it seems to be working properly.  Beware of little brothers!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Yes, there is the potential for damage, most especially if you are using the lens that came with your camera kit. I strongly suggest to avoid turning the focus ring when the AF/MF switch is set to AF.  In fact, switch it to MF whenever you dismount the lens from your camera.  Also, turn the switch to MF whenever you power down your camera with the lens still attached.

Some costlier lenses have a feature called "manual override", which allows you to manually focus the lens, but usually only after the lens has achieved an Autto-Focus lock.  If you have a typical camera kit lens, then you can inflict serious and permanent damage on your lens, which most likely does not have any "manual override" features.

Nikhil
Apprentice

@Nikhil wrote:

It sounds like you have already "tested" the lens, and it seems to be working properly.  Beware of little brothers!

Nikhil
Apprentice
Hahahah! Thank-you so much!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If you bought the EF-S 18-55mm IS II, FTM (Full Time Manual) focusing is not available.  Manual focusing should only be done with the AF/MF switch in the MF position.  However after the lens achieves AF, (finger off the shutter button) I doubt it hurts it to turn the focus ring.  It will likely do damage if the lens in trying to AF and you turn the focus ring.

The EF-S 18-55mm IS II isn't really designed to MF at all.  It isn't a user friendly MF lens.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements