cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need info in a lens previously suggested

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I had posted a while back and someone suggested a lens that would be good for general use as baseball games. Couldn't find the post. I checked a file that I keep with printouts of suggestions, etc., but I didn't find anything. I recall the lens was XX-135mm. Have some $$$ coming in and might spring for that lens. Thanks.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Most likely the lens you are referring to is the Canon EF-S 18-135.  This is available in several versions with the either STM or Nano-USM versions being the best: the latter being the more recent.  Optically, they are not really that much different, but the focusing on the Nano-USM is faster, which may be significant.  You might want to check the Canon lens refurb site to see if they have any available.

Being an EF-S lens, it will not work on any future FF camera body, but could be used on the current R7 and R10 units via an adapter, it that is of any significance to you.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Most likely the lens you are referring to is the Canon EF-S 18-135.  This is available in several versions with the either STM or Nano-USM versions being the best: the latter being the more recent.  Optically, they are not really that much different, but the focusing on the Nano-USM is faster, which may be significant.  You might want to check the Canon lens refurb site to see if they have any available.

Being an EF-S lens, it will not work on any future FF camera body, but could be used on the current R7 and R10 units via an adapter, it that is of any significance to you.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

That is it! Thanks, Trevor. I printed the main text for reference. BTW, my camera is a T7.

John

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

B&H has several used lenses with ratings up to 9+. All I need is a few bucks and sneak it by the CFO.

John

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Although that lens or any lens for that matter can be used at a baseball game it certainly would not be a top choice.

If you need suggestions on what gear to use in any specific scenario it is best to see what the pros that make a living at it are using. I doubt you will find not one that uses the ef-s 18-135mm.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I would agree with Ernie and Bill that the 18-135 is an excellent lens for general purposes and as a walk-around unit, for something a bit longer the 70-300 units would be a better focal length.  If you have the latter covered with an existing lens - I think you have the Sigma 150-600, then you will have a great coverage in two lenses.

cheers, TREVOR

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The 18-135mm lenses are good walk around lenses when you are in tourist mode.  The 135mm maximum focal length is a little short for most outdoor sports, including baseball.

Give the EF 70-300mm II IS USM a look.  It is about the same price as the 18-135mm USM, and it is a full frame lens, which means it could work on any Canon body, including R series with a mount adapter.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I have the Sigma 150-600 and the Canon 75-300 lenses. Thanks to all.

John

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have the Sigma 150-600 and the Canon 75-300 lenses. "

You don't need to 70-300mm. Sell the 75-300mm. You have a great lens in the 150-600mm why keep the very so-so 75-300mm? I guess you also have the 18-55mm kit lens? In that case the 18-135mm might make good sense. It would be  a nice FL fill in lens but not so great for BB if it was you only long lens..

All the lenses you are considering or already own are pretty slow so why not look at some faster lenses? It is usually best to have a reason, a need to fill, instead of buying a lens first then trying to find a reason for it. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements