cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help choosing lenses for 7D Mark II

ilzho
Rising Star

Hello:

I am purchasing a 7D Mark II and am looking for advice on some lens.

I primarily take pictures of horses/wildlife/action sports.

I want to have a good lens for portraits and a good one for wildlife/sports.

I don't want to have 5 different lenses either (at least for now).

I realize it really depends on how much money I want to spend.

I would like to get 2 lenses for around $2K.

Some of you have already given some great advice on lenses.

EF 50MM F/1.8

EF-S 17-55MM F2.8 IS USM

EF 24-105MM F/4 L IS USM

EF-S 18-135 MM IS

EF 70-200MM F/4 L IS USM

EF 70-200MM F/2.8 L II IS

Just a little confused and need a little clarity.

Thank you,

David

47 REPLIES 47

@ilzho wrote:

Hello:

EF 50MM F/1.8

EF-S 17-55MM F2.8 IS USM

EF 24-105MM F/4 L IS USM

EF-S 18-135 MM IS

EF 70-200MM F/4 L IS USM

Thank you,

David

You really can't go wrong with the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS as a general-purposr lens. Beyond that, some of your confusion may be caused by the fact that most of Canon's true telephoto lenses are oriented toward the focal-length conventions of full-frame cameras, with prices to match. For the 7D Mark II, I think Canon's product line badly needs an EF-S 50-150mm f/2.8 (and/or f/4) lens of quality comparable to the 17-55. Sigma has made such a lens in the past, but doesn't currently AFAIK. So unless and until Canon sees it my way, choosing a moderately long lens for the 7D2 will probably involve a compromise.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@ilzho wrote:

Hello:

EF 50MM F/1.8

EF-S 17-55MM F2.8 IS USM

EF 24-105MM F/4 L IS USM

EF-S 18-135 MM IS

EF 70-200MM F/4 L IS USM

Thank you,

David

Buy the 7D Mk II with the EF-S 18-135 IS STM kit lens for a general walk around lens.

For everything else get the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II and the EF Extender 2X III.

The 70-200 f/2.8L IS II is a great portrait lens, a good sports lens, and with the 2X TC makes an ok wildlife lens.

And for $125 you might as well add the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM for close quarters portraits.

edit:

EF 50MM F/1.8 (as long as it is the STM version)

EF-S 17-55MM F2.8 IS USM (nice lens, but, not outstanding for portraits, sports or wildlife)

EF 24-105MM F/4 L IS USM (full frame zoom range, and mediocre for an L lens)

EF-S 18-135 MM IS (Yes, just make sure it is the STM or new USM version, much better image quality than the other versions)

EF 70-200MM F/4 L IS USM (Aperture isn't wide enough for a good portriat lens, and not as good with the 2X TC for wildlife)

EF 70-200MM F/2.8 L II IS (FTW)

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"I want to have a good lens for portraits and a good one for wildlife/sports."  

"I would like to get 2 lenses for around $2K." 

-------------------------------------

No one lens can do it all, which is one reason why there is such a variety of lenses to choose from.  A focal length of 85mm on a full frame is the consensus ideal focal length for portraits, which would be roughly equivalent to putting a 50mm lens on a 7D2.  As for everything else, that is going to depend upon what you're after, and where you'll be shooting from relative to your subjects.

Horses?  If you mean a racetrack, then a 70-200mm lens could work well, if you are track side. 

Wildlife?  That depends upon the size of the wildlife, how hungry and violent it is, and how far away you'll be.  100-600mm.

Sports?  Like the wildlife, that depends on the sport, the size of the playing field, and where you will be.  I like 200-400mm [full frame body] for baseball when I am shooting from 20-30 feet outside of first base.   That works out to 125-250mm on an APS-C body like the 7D2. 

But, that's my preference for baseball.  I will not get "sports illustrated" close-ups.  I get shots that are more like what you might see watching a game on your television.  Also, don't overlook a general purpose wide angle lens.  Long lenses are great, but are not as versatile as a simple lens, like the EF 16-35 f/4L IS USM.

My advice is to get the lenses that you know that you want, and not buy anything that compromises that desire, or need.  If you compromise in your choices, you will inevitably develop buyer's remorse, and wind up buying what you originally wanted at some point down the road.  If it means buying just one lens now, then buy just one lens now.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"You really can't go wrong with the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS as a general-purposr lens."

Again the Man from Boston has the correct answer.  The big problem with all the rest of Canon ef-s lenses is a slow variable aperture.  The EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is a 'constant' f2.8 aperture.<---pretty fast  

The EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens is you second choice and will round out your needs. If this model is too costly there is several cheaper version. The addition of the ex 1.4L extender is a good idea too. Don't get the 2x version.

This would be a nice camera bag.  IMHO, save your money on the 50mm f1.8.  You won't use it much.  It is too limiting being a prime.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

diverhank
Authority

If I were you, I'd get two lenses and be set for a long time:

1. Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS - best all around lens at very attractive price (recently $600 refurbished at Canon site).

2. Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM - best telephoto zoom lens barred none.

The two purchased together exceed your $2K budget by $500 but it will be worth it.  Later when you decide to need more reach, you can get a 1.4x III extender for # 2 lens...but you won't need it right away.

#1 can do very decent portrait at the higher FL (e.g. from 50-105mm range).  # 2 is also fantastic for portrait with incredible bokeh, in addition to a great sports/wild life lens. With a minimum focus distance of only 3 feet, you can also use this at a macro lens @ FL 400mm.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

If I were you, I'd get two lenses and be set for a long time:

1. Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS - best all around lens at very attractive price (recently $600 refurbished at Canon site).

2. Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM - best telephoto zoom lens barred none.

The two purchased together exceed your $2K budget by $500 but it will be worth it.  Later when you decide to need more reach, you can get a 1.4x III extender for # 2 lens...but you won't need it right away.

@#1 can do very decent portrait at the higher FL (e.g. from 50-105mm range).  # 2 is also fantastic for portrait with incredible bokeh, in addition to a great sports/wild life lens. With a minimum focus distance of only 3 feet, you can also use this at a macro lens @ FL 400mm.

That would be a fine pair on a 6D or other full-frame camera. On a 7D Mark II, not so much. You're missing too much range at the wide end, and the telephoto is longer than you probably need (and can reasonably control) on a crop-frame camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I wasn't going to say anything but since you did, you are correct, sir.   Too much big and not enough little.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@RobertTheFat wrote:

That would be a fine pair on a 6D or other full-frame camera. On a 7D Mark II, not so much. You're missing too much range at the wide end, and the telephoto is longer than you probably need (and can reasonably control) on a crop-frame camera.

I guess you and ebiggs are not really a sports/BIF type are you? :).  400mm for me is way too short on my 7DII.  I usually use the 600mm f/4L with a 1.4x and it's still too short (I don't do sports, just BIF).  Regarding the wide end, the OP just wanted portrait and sports/wildlife - 24mm is plenty good for that even on a cropped sensor.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

I guess you and ebiggs are not really a sports/BIF type are you? :).  400mm for me is way too short on my 7DII.  I usually use the 600mm f/4L with a 1.4x and it's still too short (I don't do sports, just BIF).  Regarding the wide end, the OP just wanted portrait and sports/wildlife - 24mm is plenty good for that even on a cropped sensor.

I don't think the 24-105 is wide enough, either.  I would have suggested the same EF-S standard zoom lens, but suggested the EF 16-35 f/4L IS USM because it would work on a full frame body, too, should the OP decide to upgrade at some future date.  The lenses will likely outlast the camera. 

As for the super telephoto end, 400mm and up, they are difficult for beginners to use handheld.  They're even hard to use on a tripod, or a monopod.  My thoughts are running more towards general purpose than a specific purpose, like Birds In Flight.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements