cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for input on lens purchase

Orcrone
Enthusiast

I own the Canon T4i along with three zoom lenses; the EF-S 10-22, an EF-S 18-135 STM and an EF 70-300. Canon has the EF 24-105 F4l refurbished on sale for $639.99 and I'm wondering about pulling the trigger. One concern is the three lenses have a nice amount of overlap that I would lose on the 24 mm end with thiws purchase. I'm not a professional photographer,  but I do occasionally blow up a shot and hang it on the walls.

Normally I leave my 18-135 on the camera. With the 24-105 having less reach on each end of the scale I'm concerned about how much more often I'll be changing lenses.

Are my concerns unjustified? I've never useds an L series lens before, so I'm not sure about how much of an improvement I will see. Will it offset any potential disadvantages?

Thanks

76 REPLIES 76

I want to thank everyone again for their advice. Although there are obvious differences of opinions I thought all theh advice received was valuable.

I almost pulleed the trigger on a 5D mark ii, EF 24-105 f/4L, Canon battery grip combo this afternoon. I could've purchased the combo for $1400, which seemed like a great price to me. But then I read about the comparison of the mark ii to the mark iii. I especially liked the improved auto focus of the newer model. I decided it did not make sense to purchase a camera which would leave me feling asa though I wasn't done upgrading yet. So I decided I'm still interested in the lens. Additionally I'm also looking at he 5D mark iii, but I don't need to be in a hurry. I will wait for good pieces of equipment at decent prices.

@Orcrone wrote:

I want to thank everyone again for their advice. Although there are obvious differences of opinions I thought all theh advice received was valuable.

I almost pulleed the trigger on a 5D mark ii, EF 24-105 f/4L, Canon battery grip combo this afternoon. I could've purchased the combo for $1400, which seemed like a great price to me. But then I read about the comparison of the mark ii to the mark iii. I especially liked the improved auto focus of the newer model. I decided it did not make sense to purchase a camera which would leave me feling asa though I wasn't done upgrading yet. So I decided I'm still interested in the lens. Additionally I'm also looking at he 5D mark iii, but I don't need to be in a hurry. I will wait for good pieces of equipment at decent prices.

A friend of mine bought a refurbished 5D Mark III from the online Canon store; and the last I knew, he was very happy with it. In fact it was his raving about it that finally pushed me to buy a 5D3, although I ended up buying mine new. Apparently refurbished  cameras can be a very good deal; Canon's warranty on them is, I believe, comparable to that on a new one. If you really do have your heart set on a 5D3 (and I wouldn't blame you if you do), maybe it's worth looking into. There are now enough 5D3's out there that there must be a fairly steady supply of refurbished ones. 

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

The 5D mark iii is $2199 refurbished. I was hoping to find a good deal on a used one, but people think of the $2799 they paid & not the $2199 I can pay from Canon and they're trying to get $2000 for their used camera.. For $200 more I'll go to Canon. Just missed a mark iii on Craigslist someone sold for $1400.

Wow! Just hit refresh and it went from $2199 to $2239!!!

Be aware.  The warning of GAS is timely.  Getting a FF camera is great, but everyone has to bite the bullet and upgrade lenses when they do.  Of course none of the EF-s lenses will mount anymore, and any low cost lenses may hold your new body back.  

Usually one is cautioned that glass is more important than bodies, but when one is set on a new body that advice is easily ignored.

On the other hand, the saying about glass is valid.  You can get pretty great image quality on a budget body if you use great lenses, but you dont get great image quality from even the most expensive body if it is looking through mediocre lenses.  

Set your budget accordingly.  If you get a 5D3, you will really need to ditch all your current lenses to get better ones or you will not be seeing the great improvement.  Or, if that is not in the budget, you could simply upgrade the lenses now and enjoy the immediate image quality upgrade, while you save up for a better body.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@Orcrone wrote:

The 5D mark iii is $2199 refurbished. I was hoping to find a good deal on a used one, but people think of the $2799 they paid & not the $2199 I can pay from Canon and they're trying to get $2000 for their used camera.. For $200 more I'll go to Canon. Just missed a mark iii on Craigslist someone sold for $1400.

There's something fishy about the $1400 price. When something appears too good to be true, it probably is. It wouldn't have come with a Canon warranty.

The change in price for the Canon refurb may mean that it's a different, and slightly newer, camera. Or maybe a slight change in the exchange rate. Or maybe it comes with an extra battery. It's not much of a difference.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Orcrone wrote:

There's something fishy about the $1400 price. When something appears too good to be true, it probably is. It wouldn't have come with a Canon warranty.

I don't think so. I just think it was a person selling his used equipment at an attractivee price.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Re-read your original question.

I am going to still stand by my original answer.

"With what you have, I would have torn my pocket getting the money out to buy the EF 24-105mm f4L.  It is lightyears better that what you have.  Except the EF-S 10-22mm and that is the beauty of your situation.  EF-S 10-22mm, EF 24-105mm f4L and EF 70-300mm f4-5.6.  Looks made in heaven to me!

However, I would very soon think about replaceing the 70-300mm.  It is not in the same class as the other two and will let you down in IQ when compared.

Sell the EF-S 18-135 STM."

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Instead of sleeping I stayed up and did a bunch of research, read reviews, etc. Here's what I found and my thoughts:

Something may be a step up from what I currently own. However  it may not make sense to purchase it if it will just be another stepping stone. For example purchasing the 5D Mark II if I'm just  going to be eyeing the Mark III.

Likewise, although most people universally agree the EF 24-105 f/4L is an improvement on my 18-135 STM I've also heard more than a few qualifying statements regarding it. That got me to look at the 24-70 lenses; both the f/4 and f/2.8 version and also the Tamron 24-70 Di VC USD. Unlike Canon's f/2.8 version this one also comes with IS. Looking at tests it seems to me that the Tamron lens opens to f/2.8, includes IS and has performance similar to Canon's 24-70 f/2.8 at a price closer to the f/4 lens. I've found new Canadian versions through Canadian retailerss, supposedly with a 6 year Tamron warranty (if I return it to the store) for under $800. My only conern is whether a 24-70 will give me enough range for my goto lens.

So right now I plan on purchasing the Tamron lens and trying to find a deal on the Mark iii. I'll keep the 70-300mm until I find a 70-200 f/2.8L IS ii USM. I'll sell the T4i and the two EF-S lenses and do without the wide angle zoom for now.

" My only conern is whether a 24-70 will give me enough range for my goto lens."

I use my Canon 24-70mm f2.8, 90% of the time.  It is on my 1Ds Mk III almost all the time.  It lives there.  Prime lenses have trouble competing with this lens!  This lens and the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 are in a different class than all the other lenses you are talking about.  I have both, the Tamron and the Canon and BTW the Sigma.  While the Tammy is good, very good, it is not a EF 24-70mm f2.8.  There is a reason the Canon costs more.  Will you personally notice or appreciate the difference?  I doubt it.

Untill you dump the Rebel, keep the 10-22mm.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Orcrone wrote:

Instead of sleeping I stayed up and did a bunch of research, read reviews, etc. Here's what I found and my thoughts:

Something may be a step up from what I currently own. However  it may not make sense to purchase it if it will just be another stepping stone. For example purchasing the 5D Mark II if I'm just  going to be eyeing the Mark III.

Likewise, although most people universally agree the EF 24-105 f/4L is an improvement on my 18-135 STM I've also heard more than a few qualifying statements regarding it. That got me to look at the 24-70 lenses; both the f/4 and f/2.8 version and also the Tamron 24-70 Di VC USD. Unlike Canon's f/2.8 version this one also comes with IS. Looking at tests it seems to me that the Tamron lens opens to f/2.8, includes IS and has performance similar to Canon's 24-70 f/2.8 at a price closer to the f/4 lens. I've found new Canadian versions through Canadian retailerss, supposedly with a 6 year Tamron warranty (if I return it to the store) for under $800. My only conern is whether a 24-70 will give me enough range for my goto lens.

So right now I plan on purchasing the Tamron lens and trying to find a deal on the Mark iii. I'll keep the 70-300mm until I find a 70-200 f/2.8L IS ii USM. I'll sell the T4i and the two EF-S lenses and do without the wide angle zoom for now.

Do NOT buy a lens for a camera you don't have!!!

If you want better image quality in some circumstances, get a prime lens or two.

Consider getting the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM (38mm full frame equivalent), and the EF 40mm f/2.8 STM (64mm full frame equivalent).

As for the Tamron, I have a lot of 3rd party lenses. If I had to do it over again I would just go with Canon lenses, due to Canon's outstanding Digital Lens Optimizer. It does more than the lens optimizers in Adobe LR. If you haven't tried it, you may find it breaths new life into your current camera and lenses.

As for a full frame camera, one of the GAS purchases I regret is buying my Canon 6D with EF 24-105mm f/4L IS. Like you I was caught up in the mystique of full frame and L lenses. Looking back from today I wish I had spent that $2400 differently.

Based on what you've said if you've really need go let off some GAS, look at the 70D. It is a nice upgrade from your T4i, and still has the tilt swivel screen and a greatly enhanced AF system. But, the best thing to do would be to hold off on your GAS. 

What isn't your T4i and your current lenses doing for you?

What exactly do your want your new purchase to do that your current gear can't?

Announcements