cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a do it all lens for a trip

soamanpo1
Apprentice

I recently bought an r50 body and am looking for a great travel lens to take pictures of on my trip.

I’ll be shooting city life/landscape for the most part. Nothing that will break the bank but I’m willing to save for a while as my trip is in a few months.

Appreciate all advice and tips.

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

Based on your your description the RF-S 18-150 or RF-S 55-210 sound like two lenses worthy of your consideration. 

If you have a kit lens and are looking to build on, that the 55-210 might be the way to go.  If you are looking for a single lens solution then the 18-150 can also be considered.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

There is no such thing as a "do it all lens". That is why and the very first reason cameras have a removable lens mount. You can find a mostly do it all lens. I second Ricks' suggestion of the RF-S 18-150.

The closest thing that comes to a do it all camera is one of Canon's Powershot models. Perhaps the Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III Digital Camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I would also recommend a fast prime lens between 16mm and 35mm for a crop sensor body. You may not always be shooting in bright sunlight.  You may want to capture indoor shots, too. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

It would help to let us know what lens you DO have for the camera.  Failing that information, Rick's suggestions are the best, depending if you have the RF-S18-45 kit lens already, then the 55-210 would be the way to go, otherwise for a single-lens solution the RF-S 18-150.
@Ebiggs1's comment is very true, the whole point of an interchangeable lens camera is to change the personality of the camera with a different optic and any single lens will always be, to some degree, a compromise.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
click here to view the gallery
Announcements