cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lenses??

kpilon
Contributor

I want to get a lens but it says (Lens for Canon Rebel T5i T5 T4i T3i T3 T2i T1i XT XTi XS XSi SL1, 5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 6D, 70D, SL1, 60D, 7D, EOS 700D 650D 600D 550D 500D 450D 400D 350D 300D 1100D 100D DSLR Cameras).

My question is can you use a lens designed for canon t3i on a t3
I have a Canon t3.
Thanks

13 REPLIES 13

Yes that is what I am looking for.  I used to take a lot of photos years ago with Canon AE1 but I have since updated to the Canon EOS Rebel T3.  So I am looking for any tips.

The same Moon image as it comes from the 1D Mk IV looks like this.

_DS39314.jpg

It is impossible to get good shots of anything in the sky without post editing.  Period, end of story.  The first example is an  enlargement of this photo.  It has gone through lens correction in Lightroom 6 and has screen sharpening applied upon web reduction.

Instead of a tele converter you need to get some type of post editing software.  For most folks Photoshop Elements is the best there is.  For the more advanced or more serious Lightroom and Photoshop are as good as it gets.

A tele converter helps with magnification but it hurts everything else.  Post editing improves everything!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ScottyP
Authority

I think Ernie was pointing out that even 600mm lens on an aps-h body giving a 1.3x zoom boost does not give a very close up view of the moon. 

Your camera boosts a bit farther, giving a 1.6x apparent boost but that would still not be a serious closeup.  For closer than that you'd need to get a lens that can mount a 2x telefolks converter, which means an f/4 or brighter max aperture or else you probably lose autofocus.  A lens like that costs a lot of money though, not to mention the teleconverter.  Check before you attempt to be positive any lens you pick will let you even mount a teleconverter without glass hitting glass. 

There re are also ways to shoot using a telescope as a lens but I know nothing about that. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I use use a telescope for a shot of just the moon.

Moon

A shot taken near 1st quarter provides lighting from the side and offers a more three dimensional look because the craters cast shadows.

For a "full" moon, I find it better to check your calendar and shoot 1 day BEFORE the full moon.   The moon will rise just before sunset and you can get the moon in a dusky blue sky instead of a black sky.  This gives you the option to includes some foreground interest so it isn't just the moon in your shot.  The moon will still appear "full". 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements