cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens recommendations for outdoor sports

Rkiger
Contributor

Hello I am looking to upgrade my lense for the EOS Rebel T3 I do not want to upgrade my camera as it works just fine I would like to find a new lense for outdoor sports such as frisbee golf and indoor spots such as ice hockey what is the best lense for these things?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

MPBACK
Enthusiast

Hi,

Canon still offers several telephoto zoom lenses that would be a good fit for the CanonRebel T3.  They are 70-300mm range.  These lenses are reasonably priced.  Canon also makes more expensive L line lenses that would work well also.  If you are looking for longer range zoom lenses greater than 300 mm, Canon also offers those, however do get expensive.  Other than Canon, Lens companies such as Tamron and Sigma also make lenses to fit Canon EF-S and EF mounts, both of which will work on the T3.

View solution in original post

Yes but you may come across compatibility issues. Just because it says compatible with Canon EF Mount doesn't mean its 100% compatible. Some camera body and lens combos don't work well together. Especially when there's an age gape between when the camera body and lens were released. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

No lens mentioned so far is as good as the Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC G2. It is simply amazing, It would work as well as anything you can buy for indoor sports only being surpassed by the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III USM Lens which is the gold standard.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

11 REPLIES 11

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

What is your budget to spend on a new lens and is low light a concern of yours. Since ice hockey was mentioned which is usually played indoors.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

I do not have a set budget  as I looking to as for the lense anyone will suggest as a gift. But most of my problems are with lighting as most of the rinks do not have proper lighting which takes a lot of time in editing.

Budget is a key thing before we can suggest a lens. Large aperture lenses come with a hefty price tag but greatly help the camera's AF system and lock focus faster. Since these lenses use a faster and more accurate AF motor than cheaper lenses do. They also use a constant aperture throughout the entire zoom instead of a variable aperture. With a variable aperture lens the more you zoom in the less light enters the camera. Variable aperture DSLR lenses usually have an aperture as slow as F/5.6. They won't be any slower than that because there won't be enough light to focus. Also most cameras won't focus with an aperture smaller than F/5.6. Some professional grade DSLR cameras will focus down to F/8.

-Demetrius

MPBACK
Enthusiast

Hi,

Canon still offers several telephoto zoom lenses that would be a good fit for the CanonRebel T3.  They are 70-300mm range.  These lenses are reasonably priced.  Canon also makes more expensive L line lenses that would work well also.  If you are looking for longer range zoom lenses greater than 300 mm, Canon also offers those, however do get expensive.  Other than Canon, Lens companies such as Tamron and Sigma also make lenses to fit Canon EF-S and EF mounts, both of which will work on the T3.

IMG_4785.jpeg

IMG_4784.jpeg

  These are the lenses I am using now at my event they have been working great 

I also was looking at the 

Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC G2

would this be a good lense?

Yes but you may come across compatibility issues. Just because it says compatible with Canon EF Mount doesn't mean its 100% compatible. Some camera body and lens combos don't work well together. Especially when there's an age gape between when the camera body and lens were released. 

-Demetrius

The EF 24-105mm F/4IS USM lens is a great professional grade standard zoom lens for Full Frame cameras. The EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM was mainly used as a kit lens for late EOS film bodies and some early EOS Digital Full Frame and APS-C cameras. I used to own a copy and it was a great lens except it didn't perform well in low light. You will need a longer lens and a wider aperture lens to achieve what you need for sports.

-Demetrius

OK, I also use the EF 24-105L and has been a part of my kit for over 10 years.  

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements