cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens for 7D Mark II

cas1963
Enthusiast

Can anyone speak about using the EF 24-105 f/4 IS II, or the EF 24-70 f/4 IS USM, on a 7D Mark II? I have the EF-S 17-55, and I’m VERY  happy with it, but I am looking for something with more reach that is affordable…. Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I really like my 17-55, I plan on keeping it, but often I would like more reach, and I am not ready to spend a ton of money so I thought the new 24-105 would be of good quality for an affordable price. I like the idea of having a fixed aperture, and I’m not ready to spend the kind of money a 70-200 f/2.8 would cost me. That’s for the future when I am retired in 5 yrs and have more time to focus on photography than I have right now.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@cas1963 wrote:

Can anyone speak about using the EF 24-105 f/4 IS II, or the EF 24-70 f/4 IS USM, on a 7D Mark II? I have the EF-S 17-55, and I’m VERY  happy with it, but I am looking for something with more reach that is affordable…. Thanks in advance.

You have the best mid-range lens for your camera. Instead of replacing it, consider supplementing it with a second lens.

The EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM would be a good choice. Don't let its low price fool you it has outstanding image quality,

The EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II nano-USM, would also be worthy of consideration.

Not look8ng to get rid of 17-55, looking to supplement like you say....

thanks, I’ll look at those.  

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You will love the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM Lens.  It will show you a little more tele and a little less WA.  I used the first version of that lens on a pair of 7D's for years at great success.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

There’s actually a refurb 24-105 IS II  available on canon’s Black Friday sale.  Refurb is good as new, yes?

It has full Canon warranty.  No worry.

EB

@cas1963 wrote:

There’s actually a refurb 24-105 IS II  available on canon’s Black Friday sale.  Refurb is good as new, yes?

Are you sure it was the Mark II version of the lens?  I tried to visit the Refurb site a couple of times over the weekend, but it was down, probably due to traffic volume.  That lens is still a little too new to be available as a Refurbished Lens, IMHO.

The EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM is a pretty good lens.  My only complaints are that it creeps.  If you tilt the camera, then the zoom range setting may change.  Not a major issue, but an annoyance when I am removing, or replacing, the camera with a mounted lens in a bag.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes, it’s definitely the new one, which brings up another question I had but didn’t ask, why would something so new already be in the refurb store?

@cas1963 wrote:
Yes, it’s definitely the new one, which brings up another question I had but didn’t ask, why would something so new already be in the refurb store?

Somebody buys it, but when he opens the box, he realizes that it's an f/4. He hadn't actually read the specs and had assumed it was f/2.8. So he sends it back to the store. Now they can't resell it as new, so they send it back to Canon, where it's inspected and tested and the fingerprints are wiped off. Then it goes tto the refurb store. Something like that.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"...why would something so new already be in the refurb store?"

Really not a concern as it has the full Canon warranty.  Since it is tested and inspected, again, by a human, some say they are better.

EB
Announcements