cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens adapter question.

star
Contributor

Can I adapt a Canon EF70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM ...and a Nikon D40X body? If so, what adapter?

Thanks, Tony

19 REPLIES 19

cicopo
Elite

No. You can adapt Nikon lenses to Canon but not Canon to Nikon because of the distance between the lens mount & sensor.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thank you for the reply cicopo, would you please recommend a Canon body for this lens?

Tony

To do that I recommend that you start a new thread which tells us what types of photography you are interested in & how much you know about the basic rules of photography. Canon has a pretty deep line up of bodies & some are aimed at action while others favor landscape or low light etc.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Adapters are usually never a good idea.

How did you wind up with a  Canon EF70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM lens and a Nikon body?  This is a very good (the best) and very expensive lens. Smiley Surprised

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

star
Contributor
cicopo, she would use this lens for a wide variety of uses. Trade Shows indoor as well as outdoor. I'be seen this lens a few times and was truly impressed...so I bought it for her thinking lens were " universal" in there fitment ? Please keep in mind my knowledge of cameras is as follows...my Note 4 has an awesome 16 Meg camera, best I've ever had. See where I'm coming from... 😉

@star wrote:
cicopo, she would use this lens for a wide variety of uses. Trade Shows indoor as well as outdoor. I'be seen this lens a few times and was truly impressed...so I bought it for her thinking lens were " universal" in there fitment ? Please keep in mind my knowledge of cameras is as follows...my Note 4 has an awesome 16 Meg camera, best I've ever had. See where I'm coming from... 😉

Wow.  I'm blown away that people buy $2000 lenses with little to no understanding of the uses and requirements.

As mentioned above, it's probably the best lens in it's class (out of all manufacturers) and one of the best all around lenses made.  It's incredibly sharp and has terrific autofocus capabilities - when paired to a Canon camera.  70-200 is telephoto range, or "zoomed" for non technical jargon.  You can shoot a half body portrait in a medium sized room, zoom into someone across the street (a reasonable amount), or (probably it's biggest use) get in close from across the room like in event shooting.

What type of shooting you do matters on the camera body you choose.  The most common choices at the moment for a lens of that caliber would be:

• Canon 6D: Full frame, absolutely terrific low light ability, poor quality auto focus, very cheap for the level of image quality you get.
  • Canon 5d Mark III: Everything mentioned above, but also terrific autofocus.  The most expensive of the three
  • Canon 7D Markk II: It's a smaller sensor, not as good in low light.  This camera is built for speed, and taking photos of things that are moving.  Has a great autofocus system, probably the best in manufacture right now.  Also the most recent, so has all the latest bells and whistles.  Mid price between the two.

In general, if you're worried about getting things that are moving you'd get the 7d2, if you're worried about taking clean pictures in low light you'd get the 6D, and if you want both and have the budget you get the 5d3.  As with an generalization, take it with a grain of salt.

star
Contributor
biggs, I thought lens & bodies were buddies, Nikon and Canon got along fabulously, so last night I grabbed a D70 body to put this to rest, now I'll hunt for a short range lens...there's a leaning curve here for sure.

A 70D and that lens will work fine.  Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

A 70D and that lens will work fine.  Smiley Very Happy

A 7D Mark II will work even finer. Let's face it: any self-admitted newbie who can step out and buy his SO a $2000 lens without batting an eye isn't going to be put off by the $400 extra that it takes to get a camera that more nearly matches the lens's quality.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements