cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens Aperture vs F-Stops on camera

tesla
Contributor

Hi all,

another beginner's question that confused me alot.

So, here hopes some experts can demistify this fog.

I am confused with the relationship between the constant aperture number found in some luxury lens and the f-stop/f-number that is shown in the camera itself. I do not understand how can the f-stop inside the camera can be set to bigger than the max value of the lens' aperture. For instance, lens like EF 24-105mm f/4 L, my understanding is the aperture is constant at f/4 regardless whether it is zooming or out. so my expectation when I look at the info through my viewfinder I should see f/4 all the time, but this is not the case. by why??

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 10.12.42 pm.png

Above picture I obtained from snapshot.canon-asia.com.  As you can see the author took the picture are f/9 while the lens itself has a max aperture of f/4. 

on my amature DSLR camera that has lens 18-55mm f1.5-5.6 when using aperture priority, I can set the f-stop to f/22 for instance. Why?  I thought the max value is f/5.6

I am missing a piece of jigsaw here ..... help??

thanks in advance.

glenn

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Aperture describes a ratio of certain physical dimensions within the lens..  The aperture values that you see in the model number is the widest aperture setting that the can provide.  The smaller the number, the smaller the ratio, which means the wider the aperture.

Every lens should have its' maximum aperture printed on it somewhere.  Sometimes you will see the aperture described as a ratio,  Instead of seeing " f/4 ", you might see " 1:4 ".  Apertures can be set to narrower sizes than maximum, which is also known as "stopping down" the aperture.  

Sometimes you will see the aperture expressed on a zoom lens as two values like the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM.  This means that the maximum aperture changes as you zoom from 18mm to 55mm.  At 18mm, the maximum aperture can be set as wide as f/3.5.  When you are zoomed out to 55mm, the maximum setting is only f/5.6.

A constant aperture zoom does not change the maximum available aperture as you zoom from one end of the range to the other end of the zoom range.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

PLee
Enthusiast

For Glenn, your EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM has an f-stop range of f/4 to f/22. This entire range of f-stops is available at any focal length on that lens. The name of the lens only includes the smallest possible f-stop for the entire range of focal lengths the lens can cover. Since the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM can have an f-stop as small as f/4 throughout its entire focal length range, you only see one f-stop in its name.

Your less expensive EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens is named that way because at 18mm, the smallest f-stop is f/3.5 and at 55mm, the smallest f-stop is f/5.6. At 18mm, that lens has an f-stop range of f/3.5 to f/22 and at 55mm, that lens has an f-stop range of f/5.6 to f/38. The first f-stop in the lens name corresponds to the minimum focal length of that zoom lens and the second f-stop in the lens name corresponds to the longest focal length for that lens. This is more commonly known as a variable aperture lens.

If you are using a shooting mode that allows the camera to select an f-stop for you, then the camera may select larger f-stops for your lens in brighter scenes like outdoors on a sunny day. This is why you may see a photograph with f/9 on the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM in your sample picture or an f-stop of f/22 on the EF-S 18-55mm.

"Honestly I only half understood it."

No problem let's try another approach. Do you have a binocular at home that you use? It is just a lens. Just like your camera lens. It has a constant f-ratio of, let's say f4.   However they do not have a means of reducing the amount of light coming into the binoculars and the amount that comes out for your eye to see. Now if your camera lens did not have that extra system, the aperture blades, it would work the same way.

"But it raised another question to me. The lens says F4 constant aperture and I paid a lot for that ... I am expecting it to stay constant at f4 :-)"

There are two different points here. Did you mention what lens you are talking about?  It really doesn't matter but let's assume it was a ef 24-105mm f4L (constant aperture) zoom.  When you zoom any lens, say, from 24mm to 105mm you change the focal length and therefore you change the f-ratio. Some lenses do not have special internal systems to cope with this so their f-ratio changes. An example might be the ef-s 55-250mm f4-5.6.  However, a lens like the ef 24-105mm f4L has internal lens groups to correct for this and its f-ratio remains constant.

Now where you seem to jump the track is when we have to add exposure to this equation.  All the pictures you take can not be shot at the constant f4.  So, how do we solve this dilemma?  We add an aperture system that has the ability to reduce the amount of light that hits the sensor. These are called f-stop numbers and although they sound like the same number as your  constant aperture f4 lens they are not.  Bottom line here is your constant f4 lens shot the scene at f4 just like Canon claimed but the camera told the lens aperture system to reduce the amount of light to f9 because that is what made a perfect exposure. If you removed the aperture system from your constant f4 lens, it would shoot all shots at f4 and some would be over exposed.

Consider this, as we wrap this up and I hope I made it more clear for you, all prime lenses are constant aperture lenses. Zoom lenses can be either constant or variable aperture but both still have the aperture system to adjust light coming in and going out. Two, there is nothing inherently better in a constant aperture zoom lens over a variable aperture zoom lens.  And, the down side is cost and weight because they need that extra lens grouping inside to keep the f-ratio constant. Plus they generally are faster lenses and that costs more.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

23 REPLIES 23

PLee
Enthusiast

For Glenn, your EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM has an f-stop range of f/4 to f/22. This entire range of f-stops is available at any focal length on that lens. The name of the lens only includes the smallest possible f-stop for the entire range of focal lengths the lens can cover. Since the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM can have an f-stop as small as f/4 throughout its entire focal length range, you only see one f-stop in its name.

Your less expensive EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens is named that way because at 18mm, the smallest f-stop is f/3.5 and at 55mm, the smallest f-stop is f/5.6. At 18mm, that lens has an f-stop range of f/3.5 to f/22 and at 55mm, that lens has an f-stop range of f/5.6 to f/38. The first f-stop in the lens name corresponds to the minimum focal length of that zoom lens and the second f-stop in the lens name corresponds to the longest focal length for that lens. This is more commonly known as a variable aperture lens.

If you are using a shooting mode that allows the camera to select an f-stop for you, then the camera may select larger f-stops for your lens in brighter scenes like outdoors on a sunny day. This is why you may see a photograph with f/9 on the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM in your sample picture or an f-stop of f/22 on the EF-S 18-55mm.

Thanks @PLee - much appreciate your explanation here. Light and easy to understand. So, it means that my RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM is not really a "constant" aperture lens. May be this is where my confusion is. I was expecting the aperture to be "constant" across the focal length (24-105mm) as they said it is.

@tesla wrote:

Thanks @PLee - much appreciate your explanation here. Light and easy to understand. So, it means that my RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM is not really a "constant" aperture lens. May be this is where my confusion is. I was expecting the aperture to be "constant" across the focal length (24-105mm) as they said it is.

Your 24-105mm f/4 lens is a constant aperture lens.  You have the same full range of aperture values available at any focal length.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
tesla - since you seem to lack an understanding of the basics of exposure control I am not sure anything that is given to you here will make any sense to you.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements