cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got the canon R6 with RF 24-105mm f/4 What should my next lens be?

KellanCarson
Apprentice

Hi all! Long time lurker on this sub. I just recently “upgraded” from my m6 mkii (awesome camera). I do mostly car photography and some nature/landscape. I figured the 24-105mm would cover a lot of my car needs (though a telephoto would be nice).

I wasn’t sure what direction I should go for my next lens. My budget isn’t crazy so I can only afford one more lens for now. Should I go for a prime lens? Or would something like a 70-200 be more versatile for my needs? Any other lenses I should consider? Open to both EF and RF glass.

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If I just recently purchased an R6, then I would not invest in any EF lenses.  I would stick to RF lenses.  If you already have EF lenses, then invest in the mount adapter.  But, I would not [buy any more] of them, not for an RF mount camera body.

You have a pretty good starter lens.  Without knowing what other lenses you have, I would say that lens is fine for car photography.  Many people purchase M bodies, and then invest in EF glass.  If you still have the M6 Mark II, then I would highly recommend the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Excellent advice above.

I would personally wait on purchasing a second lens until you figure out what the 24-105 f/4 won't allow you to do.   It may very well be adequate.

On a side note, if you don't have one already, look into getting a nice circular polarizer for your lens (I can highly recommend the B+W brand; especially their XS-Pro line CP filters which limits the light loss).   This will help reduce glare and things like reflections in windshields.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"My budget isn’t crazy so I can only afford one more lens for now. Should I go for a prime lens?"

If your budget is "limited" a prime is not a good idea. Primes are a single purpose lens. Zooms are so much more usable.

"Or would something like a 70-200 be more versatile for my needs?"

Almost everybody that has a 70-200mm zoom is happy with it.  It is probably the second most common FL zoom there is. It is  probably not going to help you in car photography unless you can't get very close to the cars.

It sounds like you are firmly involved with mirrorless cameras M6 Mk II and R6 so why in the world would you even consider any more or any at all EF lenses.  Stay in your R series format lenses.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

shawnphoto
Enthusiast

The 24-105 should cover your landscape shooting. I would lean toward the RF 100-500 for car photography. The 70-200 would be nice too but is more of a low light lens. No reason not to get the 100-500 if you are shooting outdoors which is my assumption for 99% of car photography, unless it is in a big studio in which case you wouldn't be on here asking these questions.. lol.

"I would lean toward the RF 100-500 for car photography."

Right! For shooting race cars at a track.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@shawnphoto wrote:

The 24-105 should cover your landscape shooting. I would lean toward the RF 100-500 for car photography. The 70-200 would be nice too but is more of a low light lens. No reason not to get the 100-500 if you are shooting outdoors which is my assumption for 99% of car photography, unless it is in a big studio in which case you wouldn't be on here asking these questions.. lol.

I would beg to differ on the opinion that a 70-200mm f/2.8 may not be well suited for car photography.  I shoot at an annual show every summer.  It is a 2-day event featuring hundreds of motor vehicles of all types and sizes.  My 70-200 f/2.8 is my goto lens on a FF body.

21875256-F9FF-4ED4-8378-37D509491D10.jpeg

I don't understand your "low light" comment, because the wide aperture is great for blurring the background.  

I don't worry about glare saturating the highlights, either.  That's how my eyes see it, too.  I dial in -1/3 Ev compensation, let the glare saturate as it may   I never use CPL filters, either.  You lose at 1 to 1.5 stops of light just by putting it on the lens.  I feel that this hurts the camera's ability to autofocus under conditions that are not bright sunlight such as this example.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements