cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with 70-200mm f2.8l ii IS

Richwin1
Contributor
  • Need help, I have 5D mark iii with 70-200mm f2.8l ii with is. Having issue with lens when pushing focus button, focus just continuously runs in and out. I sent to canon and they were not able to find anything wrong. This happens on three different cameras, 5d mkiii, 7D, and Rebel T6. I attached a video. If anyone has experienced this issue, any help would be greatly appreciated. 
8 REPLIES 8

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

What kinds of objects were you trying to focus on, and how far away were they? 

Is it always the same objects with different cameras?

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

people 15 to 50 ft away. I can put on my 24-70 Lens and it works fine.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What is the setting of your Focus Limit Switch on the lens?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It does the same thing in either 1.2 or 2.5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"people 15 to 50 ft away."

Perhaps not the best for testing AF.

Very first top of the list. Reset the 5D Mk III, great camera  BTW, to factory default. There is a possibility you have set something off.  Clear all settings and, important, clear all custom settings.  Makes sure all the lens switches are in their default positions too. Any AF lens needs vertical lines and contrast to focus the best. After reset try using AF with the problem lens on some things with good contrast and some vertical lines. If it now works, it works and there is nothing wrong with it. If it doesn't it needs to go back to Canon and tell them how you tested it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Reset camera and lens, still runs in and out of focus continuously. Thanks for your suggestion.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You need to call Canon again. This time send the lens and the camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waiting on Canon to reply to my email. This issue is present with the lens on 3 different cameras. Thanks again for your time and trying to help. 

Announcements