cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Rf 200-800 an automatic purchase for bird photographers ?

ryunco1
Apprentice

Currently running an R6 Mk 2 with a Rf 100-400 but wanting more reach

I decided not to get the sigma 150-600 because of the reported focusing issues

Heard Tons of debate of Rf 100-500 vs Rf 200-800

Any other suggestions?

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

I own the RF 100-400 and 100-500.  Both are great lenses.  I should probably mention that I am not a wildlife photographer primarily. I'm more landscape and architecture. 

In your case, however, I think the 200-800 is warranted.  I have a little more flexibility at 45MP.  I can put my camera in crop mode, extending the range of my 100 500 and still walk away with a 17.3 MP image.  You however would walk away with a 9.3 MP image.  Depending on your intended use and output, that might be enough. You could also use a 1.4x TC, but you'll be spending considerably more money, and won't gain any stops of light back.  

Although you'll have to wait for the 200-800, it's quite a bit less money.  You'll get all the reach you want and won't need an extender.  Although the lens does support it throughout its entire FL.  Thus far, it has been well received and is a solid performing lens.  It's very affordable for what it offers.

I'm going to order the 200-800 this week.  I have been on B&H's auto notify list since it was released last November and I've never received an email.  So if you want one you'll have to order it.  I'd also budget for a nice tripod.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If I had an R series camera,I would already have one. 

"I decided not to get the sigma 150-600 because of the reported focusing issues"

Yeah, that's pretty much BS don't pay any attention to those folks.They seem to work just fine. You may need to update FW with the dock.

However buying today I would buy the Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2. It is just a better lens than the Sigam C version. (any of the lenses in the Tamron G2 line I have used have been nothing short of fantastic)

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements