cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the RF100-400 good for birding?

bilomni
Apprentice

At Ted’s camera, there is an RF100-400 for 800 AUD. Would this lens be good for birding on a budget? I know the focal length is considered short so I will have to get closer to the subject but otherwise, is the lens a good lens for birding and is 800 bucks a good price for this lens?

If the unit is still available on Tuesday next week, I might rent it for two days at 59 AUD a day and see if I want to choose this lens over saving and getting the RF200-800

2 REPLIES 2

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"If the unit is still available on Tuesday next week, I might rent it for two days at 59 AUD a day and see  ..."

That will answer your question! IMHO, I consider 400mm to be the shortest FL for birding. However, at times I have used my 300mm f4L with good success. So it does just depend on you, go try it if you can.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

March411
Rising Star

I own the RF100-400mm and I am currently waiting for my Rf200-800.

That being said the 100-400mm has been a great travel and hiking lens and  800 AUD/$522.04 it is an attractive price. Both of the lenses you mentioned are not extremely fast and need light or higher ISO. The 800mm will give you nice extra reach but availability is limited with most waiting about 6 months to receive the lens.

These are some of the images I've managed to grab with the 100-400mm. Most are from the jungles in Costa Rica so I did have to bump the ISO but resolved the noise in post production using Topaz.

Again, the 800 AUD is a pretty attractive price if the lens is in good condition and even if you decide to pick up the 200-800mm having this lighter lens in your lens stable would still a positive when you want to travel light.

Blue-gray Tanager.jpgRufous motmot.jpg

Hummer II.jpg

Yellow Crowned Euphonia.jpg

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!
Accuracy of statement is one of the first elements of truth; inaccuracy is a near kin to falsehood. - Tryon Edwards

90D ~ 5D Mk IV ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
Personal Gallery
Announcements