cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Irix 15mm incompatibility with Eos R6 Mark 2

Iphosia
Contributor

Hello,

I just would like to report the total incompatibility between Irix 15mm and the new R6 mark 2. I hope for a firmware update on Canon side but if ever somebody has a temporary fix, that would be great.

In the end we would just need to be able to set up the aperture at 8 or 11 and that would be it... Maybe with a small trick on the connectors ??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

To the Moderators. This thread should be marked solved. The OP was advised to contact the lens manufacturer for a firmware update. OP did and problem was solved. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

@Iphosia wrote:

Well, if that doesn’t happen, my buying a next canon camera neither. No use to stay faithful to the brand if they behave like this.

You have yet to describe the issue or problem that you are having with the lens!

I can understand your disappointment.  Canon did not design and build the Irix lenses.  Irix made the claim to be compatible with the EF mount, not Canon.  

You need to contact Irix about the issue, but i suspect I know what they will say.  “The lens is designed for the EF mount, not the RF mount.”

Other brands do not have compatibility issues when adapted to the RF mount.  I am uncertain if Irix can update the lens firmware even if they wanted to.  Canon has prohibited third party lens manufacturers from producing and releasing products that communicate with RF mount camera bodies.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The camera goes black as it doesn't detect the aperture. Only way to fix it is pop the battery out.

Well... I do understand that Canon wants more of our money and recreate proprietary mount... but in 2023, this is really pissing me off. That will probably sign the end of my Canon era. Next, I will just pick the body I like since in any case, I cannot go on using my old lenses.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Canon entertains licensing of the RF-mount to third parties. However, it doesn't just issue a blanket license for off brand manufacturers for a RF compatible mount. Canon reviews third-party lens licensing request one at a time and individually. I suspect we will see lenses from Sigma and Tamron soon.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Tamron EF mount lenses are working fine. By the way. At least my 100mm macro is.

@Iphosia wrote:

Tamron EF mount lenses are working fine. By the way. At least my 100mm macro is.

This statement only supports what you are being told.  Your issue is a lens problem.  The Tamron EF lens works just fine.  But the Irix EF lens does not.  My Sigma EF lenses also work just fine with the Canon EF/RF mount adapter.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@Iphosia wrote:

Hello,

I just would like to report the total incompatibility between Irix 15mm and the new R6 mark 2. I hope for a firmware update on Canon side but if ever somebody has a temporary fix, that would be great.

In the end we would just need to be able to set up the aperture at 8 or 11 and that would be it... Maybe with a small trick on the connectors ??

Irix has already reported that  their lenses are not compatible with the R3, R7 and R10, so it is likely they just haven't updated their list for the latest R body.

Screenshot 2023-12-03 105614.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Iphosia
Contributor

Yes, but I don't see how they could update anything...

Besides... in nowadays long speaches about sustainability, it is really a common but **bleep**ty move from Canon to reinforce a patent to artificially render some lenses obsolete... All the more ridiculous as this just makes customers angry and will not make them buy new lenses. Even worse, I was planning to buy an RF but I won't.

Of course, you always have the unreal fanboys who seems happy to get screwed by brands 🙂

Well... let's wait and see.

@Iphosia wrote:

Yes, but I don't see how they could update anything...

Besides... in nowadays long speaches about sustainability, it is really a common but **bleep**ty move from Canon to reinforce a patent to artificially render some lenses obsolete... All the more ridiculous as this just makes customers angry and will not make them buy new lenses. Even worse, I was planning to buy an RF but I won't.

Of course, you always have the unreal fanboys who seems happy to get screwed by brands 🙂

Well... let's wait and see.

First and foremost.  This forum is not Canon Support and Service.

This Canon rant about your incompatible third party lens being Canon’s fault is probably one reason why Canon enforced their intellectual property against third party manufacturers.  

A lot of users were making similar complaints about this and several other inexpensive brands of camera lenses and mount adapters.  They were demanding a solution from Canon to allow their third party, EF mount lens gear to work on the new RF mount.  Most of which was being sold before the RF mount was ever announced and released.

You have been asked or advised to contact Irix more than once.  What has been the manufacturer’s response, if any?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" Next, I will just pick the body I like since in any case,  ..."

And you think all will be happy days and blue skies. No issues what so ever. How naive you must be.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

phibo
Apprentice

Contact Irix via info@irixlens.com

They have FW update available to make the lenses compatible with the R3, R6II etc. 

I live in Germany and had to send my lens (11mm 4.0) to the IRIX Service Center in Poland. There the lens was updated to the new GW within two days and sent back free of charge. This was in Novemer 2023. They may offer a similar service in your region. 

Announcements