cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image Stabilized Lenses for the 5D Mark II Full-Frame?

stevefoobar
Contributor

Hi Everyone,

For some reason, I'm having difficulty getting straight answers on the net about finding a list of image stablized lenses that would work with the Canon EOS 5D Mark II which has a full-frame sensor. I would like to get a list of both Canon and third-part lenses that are compatible (Sigma, Tokina, Tamron).

Maybe I'm missing something and maybe NO image stabilized lenses are compatible.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

How about this?

https://www.neocamera.com/list_lenses.php?mount=canon&crop=1 

I am surprised that you would suggest that there are no IS lenses available for your 5dII.  There are tons of them!!! 

If you look at the link I sent you you can drill down to different parameters along the top selectors.  I have already set the link to FF (i.e. EF lenses) which are what you want.   Still,  you might want to narrow down the search more with the top right selector to elimenate discontinued ones.

TO see if a lens is stabilized then look to the icons on the right side of the list.  The first of those (with a lens and arrows) tells you if they are stabilized.

It's a big list, but you asked for it...

If this resolves your question, please click on the SOLVED icon for this thread so anyone knows there is an appropriate answer.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@stevefoobar wrote:

Hi Everyone,

For some reason, I'm having difficulty getting straight answers on the net about finding a list of image stablized lenses that would work with the Canon EOS 5D Mark II which has a full-frame sensor. I would like to get a list of both Canon and third-part lenses that are compatible (Sigma, Tokina, Tamron).

Maybe I'm missing something and maybe NO image stabilized lenses are compatible.

Thanks!

You realize, I presume, that on any Canon DSLR, the image stabilization is entirely in the lens? So any Canon IS lens with an EF mount will work. The EF 24-105mm f/4 and the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 are two that I would unhesitatingly recommend.

Hi Bob

I think the OP is looking for EF lenses with IS... and of course lots of EF lenses don't have IS.  He is also looking for non-Canon lenses so if that is what he wants, the list will be long - as you will see in my link.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks for the tip. I wasn't sure any IS lens with an EF mount would work in a full-frame camera like the 5D Mark II. This helps.

12 REPLIES 12

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

How about this?

https://www.neocamera.com/list_lenses.php?mount=canon&crop=1 

I am surprised that you would suggest that there are no IS lenses available for your 5dII.  There are tons of them!!! 

If you look at the link I sent you you can drill down to different parameters along the top selectors.  I have already set the link to FF (i.e. EF lenses) which are what you want.   Still,  you might want to narrow down the search more with the top right selector to elimenate discontinued ones.

TO see if a lens is stabilized then look to the icons on the right side of the list.  The first of those (with a lens and arrows) tells you if they are stabilized.

It's a big list, but you asked for it...

If this resolves your question, please click on the SOLVED icon for this thread so anyone knows there is an appropriate answer.

cheers, TREVOR

@stevefoobar wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

You realize, I presume, that on any Canon DSLR, the image stabilization is entirely in the lens? So any Canon IS lens with an EF mount will work. The EF 24-105mm f/4 and the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 are two that I would unhesitatingly recommend.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@stevefoobar wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

Hi Bob

I think the OP is looking for EF lenses with IS... and of course lots of EF lenses don't have IS.  He is also looking for non-Canon lenses so if that is what he wants, the list will be long - as you will see in my link.

cheers, TREVOR

Thanks for the tip. I wasn't sure any IS lens with an EF mount would work in a full-frame camera like the 5D Mark II. This helps.

Thanks! This list is very helpful, especially since you can filter by brand and IS as well.

"...you can filter by brand and IS as well."

It does not, however, tell you whether the IS works as advertised.  All IS is not created equal.  If you are looking at only Canon lenses you can rest assured the IS at least works.  Some 3rd party's IS can leave a lot to be desired.  Some don't offer much stabilization at all.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

That's really good to know. That obviously defeats the purpose. I have seen lenses claim the IS provides 3 stops of improvement in stability. Is that typical? Do you have any experience (or have read reports) of at least major brands like Tokina, Tamron, and Sigma at least being good and providing 3 stops?

I've never used an IS lens before on my Canon so this is all new to me.

Thanks!

@stevefoobar wrote:

That's really good to know. That obviously defeats the purpose. I have seen lenses claim the IS provides 3 stops of improvement in stability. Is that typical? Do you have any experience (or have read reports) of at least major brands like Tokina, Tamron, and Sigma at least being good and providing 3 stops?

I've never used an IS lens before on my Canon so this is all new to me.

Thanks!

I recommend you check sites like DPREVIEW.COM, DXOMARK.COM, the digital picture and the digital picture. 

Do a search...

At this point most modern stabilized lenses offer at least 3 stops of stabilization.  Canon has lenses that offer 5 levels of IS.  How desperately you depend on those depends on the type of photography you engage in and your technique.  If you do video you want not only good IS but silent focusing and zooming for example. Long lenses require IS unless you are using a tripod, but many wide angle lenses do not have IS because it isn't necessary and would add expense and complextity.

In my personal experience Canon consistently provide the level of IS they claim, Sigma is a good brand too, particularly their Art and Sport lines.  To me a good test of a lens is how it copes with being cropped.

This image was taken at a surf beach in the middle of a raging gale (it bowled over an elderly chap next to me), so stabilization was pushed to the limit as I hand-held my camera to get shots of the wind surfers, who were flying (often literally) about 400m away.

Details: EOS 5DIV, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary @ 520mm, f/8, 1/1000sec, ISO-200

5d4-Muriwai 009.jpg

I was able to crop this image to focus on the surfer with this result.

5d4-Muriwai 009a.jpg

It's a tribute to the camera and lens that I was able to use the tech to overcome horrendous conditions and get some shots.

cheers, TREVOR

"Do you have any experience (with) ... of at least major brands like Tokina, Tamron, and Sigma at least being good and providing 3 stops?"

Yes, I have owned and used all (brands, not necessarily every lens) of them.  I have had well over a hundred+ lenses in my decades long photographic journey.

The very short answer to your 3-stop question is a flat, no. It doesn't really depend on brand as each brand has some good and some bad lenses.

"I recommend you check sites like DPREVIEW.COM, DXOMARK.COM,..."

I am OK with DPreview but I recommend to steer clear of DXO.  Can't trust them.

"...most modern stabilized lenses offer at least 3 stops of stabilization."

I am going to add a little clarification to my friend's statement.  The advertising department claims, "at least 3 stops of stabilization."

"This image was taken at a surf beach in the middle of a gale..., so stabilization was pushed to the limit ..."

Ok, now for the nitty gritty of IS.  As my friend, that seems to get the most out of the least gear, I must point out this, IS works better for the better photographers.  You see IS works best for anybody when you least need it. It works less as your need grows.  What I mean, IS is varible. This is why the better you are at photography the better you will like and get help from IS. Correction at 1 stop is going to be better than correction at 5 stops.  They are not the same. 

You know the claim is usually "up to 3-stops of IS".  Not you can expect 3-stops of IS. Perhaps you can and perhaps not.  No doubt Canon's IS is one of, if not, the best there is.

And, the obivous bottom line, if you have a lens with great IS will you get every picture perfectly sharp? C'mon on now, you know better you won't.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements