cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image Stabilization noise on EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM lens?

BigTaco99
Apprentice

I recently purchased an EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM from eBay and I'm not convinced the image stabilization is working.

Obviously, the switch is set to "IS". With my L series glass, there's usually a little click or whir and can see the glass move through the viewfinder. With this 24mm lens there is no sound or movement that I can discern. Is this normal for this lens? (Or the 28mm IS or 35mm IS for that matter?)

How can I tell that if the IS is working? Is there a test I can do?

Thanks for your input!

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Have you tried using it?  Try taking a photo handheld with a slow shutter speed and another with the same settings on a tripod.  Take the test shots indoors, somewhere that is not brightly lit.

I would use Tv mode and Auto ISO.  I would take several test shots at different shutter speeds between 1/2 second and 1/400 second.  When you take test shots from the tripod, turn off IS.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"How can I tell that if the IS is working? Is there a test I can do?"

Every IS lens I know of makes some sound but it shouldn't be really noticeable or loud. Afterall it is a motor. I would do the test advised above. But it really shouldn't be a problem telling if the IS is working or not. It should be quite oblivious.

BTW, I have not seen any difference or problems with leaving IS turned on when using a tripod.  I guess there could be some little way out of normal situation where it might hurt but I haven't ever come across it. I almost  never turn it off.

Buying from eBay you are guaranteed that the lens will be as it was described. So, if the seller told you the IS was in working order and it is not you can get a full refund. But you need to act quickly. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@BigTaco99 wrote:

I recently purchased an EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM from eBay and I'm not convinced the image stabilization is working.

Obviously, the switch is set to "IS". With my L series glass, there's usually a little click or whir and can see the glass move through the viewfinder. With this 24mm lens there is no sound or movement that I can discern. Is this normal for this lens? (Or the 28mm IS or 35mm IS for that matter?)

How can I tell that if the IS is working? Is there a test I can do?

Thanks for your input!

At a shutter speed of ~1/50 or above camera shake would generally not be a problem, IS functioning or not.

I would try handholding at 1/8, 1/4, 1/15 with IS of and then repeat with IS on. That lens probably has an IS good for three stops improvement.

Screenshot 2023-03-13 110701.jpgScreenshot 2023-03-13 110729.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

I find the best way to see if the Image Stabilization is working is to use LiveView with 10x magnification. 

Turning the IS on and off at 10x will instantly show whether or not the IS is working. 

Mike Sowsun

BigTaco99
Apprentice

Thanks to all who shared their input. I tried all the techniques listed below and determined the IS is functioning correctly, it's just super quiet and nearly imperceptible. I did handheld tests with it on and off and found that at slower shutter speeds I couldn't stop with a little blur, but with the IS on, tack sharp pictures. Also using Live View at 10x was also very helpful and I plan to use that technique with other lenses as well. Thanks again to all!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

As the FL goes down, the number is smaller, I.E. 24mm, IS becomes less and less of a helper.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements