cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IS vs IS II? 55-250 vs 75-300?

Kingcreek
Contributor
I'm looking at adding the next lense. Currently have t3i with the 18-55 kit lens. I'm just a hobby photog and want more reach. I was ready to buy a EF-S 55-250 but it is listed w IS and others are IS II for a few dollars more. Also looked at some 75-300 but some folks aren't too impressed with them. Looking to stay under 250 bucks. The 55-250 that does is IS can be bought for about 150 dollars. I know you get what you pay for but I'm just starting out and if I progress beyond my current hardware I will probably keep it anyway or pass it along to the daughter and family.
Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Kingcreek,

As long as you purchase your lens new from an authorized dealer (keep your receipt) in the United States or Canada, your lens has a one year limited warranty. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Skirball
Authority

The II means that it's the second version of the lens, not related to the IS specifically.  A quick look online suggests that the Mark II version is another case of Canon peddling the same old sh!t with a pretty new bow (see also: the 700D).  I don't see a single performance increase mentioned.

That said, I had the Mark I version and used it for many years, and it was fine.  It's not some amazing lens, but as you said, you get what you pay for.  I can't speak to the 75-300 from personal use.  Looks like the IQ is about the same.  The 55-250 is smaller and lighter and won't leave a gap for you between 55 and 75.  The 250 also has a closer minimum focus distance.  Obviously the 300 gives a bit more reach.

Thanks. I am finding these advertised online with atleast 3-4 different part numbers and some sellers just copy and paste so I don't really know if thats even accurate.
So is it fair to say any new in box w warranty 55-250mm is essentially the same? Cost is in the 160-170$ range for new

Hi Kingcreek,

As long as you purchase your lens new from an authorized dealer (keep your receipt) in the United States or Canada, your lens has a one year limited warranty. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements