cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to attach old lenses to EOS 1300D

morinha
Apprentice

Hi,

I currently own a Canon 1300D camera, and I’m more interested in experimental photography, definitely not interested in perfection or high-quality,

Is there anyway I can attach any vintage camera lenses, or any older lenses, or even toy lenses, to this camera at all? I have had it for quite a few years and used for normal photography, I’m just getting a bit more interested in doing something more experimental

Grateful for any advice, and thanks for reading

8 REPLIES 8

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

First you need to know what mount the lens in question has. There are all kinds of adapters and its possible somebody makes the appropriate adapter. Most likely they will all be full manual though.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Oh, BTW, don't expect much as they usually offer poor quality. Because you are adapting something that was not designed to work on a different camera.

EB

Read the OP:

"and I’m more interested in experimental photography, definitely not interested in perfection or high-quality,"

"Read the OP:"

When you are answering a question form a person that doesn't know what they are doing it is common to list any and all results that might occur even if they suspect them. It is less common for someone else to criticize that attempt to help.

Must be a slow day at your house.

EB

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

There are any number of adapters for older lenses. If you want a "new" old lens, you might want to look at a lensbaby.

normadel
Authority
Authority

As was said, you need to know the lens mount type on a lens. There are all kinds of cheap adapters to mount lenses to Canon's EF/EF-S bodies.

justadude
Rising Star
Rising Star

Just adding my two cents...

I use quite a few old vintage film lenses on my various digital cameras.  Most are experimental, and fun.  As EB mentioned, many offer poor quality.  However, don't be discouraged.  You will occasionally find the old vintage gem lenses that offer great quality.  Some of the earlier Helios series 58mm lenses are a perfect example.  There are others, depending on what you shoot.

Buy locally if possible.  While most people are honest when selling things, a few are not.  I would want to at least try before you buy, and look it over for lens scratches, internal dust, and fungus.  Also make sure any moving parts actually work.  I tired one zoom lens years back that the barrel would only extend part of the way.  Needless to say, I'm glad it was local so I could try it first.

Gary

Digital: Canon: R6 Mk ll, R8, RP, 60D, various lenses
Film: (still using) Pentax: Spotmatic, K1000, K2000, Miranda: DR, Zenit: 12XP, Kodak: Retina Automatic II, Duaflex III

Ron888
Contributor

Years ago when i was buying and selling used camera gear i tried tons of non-canon lenses on various EOS bodies. As others have said,some lens brands work in manual focus/manual aperture mode via a simple cheap adapter.
From memory the easiest were Nikkor,M42(early pentax and others) , T/T2 mount (telescopes and old tele lenses) and adaptall.I think pentax K mount is possible now too?
Some lenses cant be used due to their short back-focus distance. Canon FD is one of those.Well, they can be used but only with an optical adapter and that kind of defeats the purpose.
Anyways have fun!

Announcements