cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How about a 20—50mm zoom?

AaronD
Enthusiast

24mm is just not quite wide enough for event photos and 15 (or 14mm) is way too wide.  But when I have 15 available as a hard stop I end up using it and making all these distorted unusable images.  With 24 at the wide end, half my captures are at 24, wanting to be wider.

Why has nobody in the world made a zoom that goes only as wide as 20mm?  This would be fantastic.  Please make one.  A 20—50mm f/2.8.  Then a 50—150mm f/2.8.  Those two lenses, two bodies and Bob's yer uncle.

No kidding.  This would be so very usable.

Just because I don't pose with a camera to my eye doesn't mean I'm not a dork.
2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What camera are you using?  If it has a crop sensor, then a 15mm lens would have the same field-of-view as a 24mm on a full-frame camera.   So one possibility to give you more wide-angle options is to move to full-frame.

Lens-wise, have you looked into the EF 16-35mm f/2.8?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

AaronD
Enthusiast

Yeah, I'm using an R5, and I've owned/used the EF 17—40.  

I'm not saying a wide zoom in the range of 14 to 17mm at the widest aren't usable.  They are wonderful lenses.  I am just saying 20 is plenty for ME PERSONALLY.  And it would be nice to cover the range from 20 to 150 (or 20 to 200 with the current 'long' option) with TWO lenses instead of three, down to an un-needed BY ME 16mm.  

Think of it as a 'ultimate double' in place of a 'holy trinity'.  Two camera bodies, no lens switching.

Just because I don't pose with a camera to my eye doesn't mean I'm not a dork.
Announcements