cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi is there any difference between lens 24-70 mm f/2.8 L USM and 24-70 mm f/2.8 L II USM?

Alfonso
Apprentice

Hi is there any difference between lens 24-70 mm f/2.8 L USM and 24-70 mm f/2.8 L II USM?

5 REPLIES 5

diverhank
Authority

Yes, there are differences.  Version II of course, is newer.  It has recently been released and has been touted by almost everyone who uses it as the sharpest zoom lens.  Many users report selling their primes because they don't need the primes to have sharp images anymore.

I'm pulling this out of my head so the list won't be complete. Here are a few differences:

1. Physically, the version II is lighter, more plasticky.

2. It has a lock at 24mm.

3. Version II functions like most zoom while version I was different (lens longest at 24mm end)

4. I believe the filter size is different. Version II has 82mm size, I think version I is smaller (77mm). I have version II but not I so I'm not completely certain without verifying this.

5. The price difference is huge.

6. Version II is supposed to be sharper both at the center and around the edges, less distortion, less aberration, etc.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Thank you so much, very clear!

Regards,

Alfonso

I have version one and I have used version 2. I don't see enough advantage to upgrade mine. If it is better it is not worth the difference in price to me.

Remember there is a great deal of difference with the pixel-peeper world and the REAL world.  If I didn't already have this lens, than by all means I would go for the new version 2.

Canon is getting these lenses to where there just isn't anything better on the market. Even the primes are struggling to keep ahead of them. The only downside is the enormous cost of such performance.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The image quality difference is subtle -- but like most lenses, you wont notice an image quality difference if you're viewing images on a small display.  You'd have to view them at 100% size.

The original 24-70 is a "reverse zoom".  When the lens is extended it's 24mm.  When it's fully retracted it's 70mm.  A reverse zoom has an advantage when being used with a lens hood since the hood stays in place but the lens pulls back as you zoom in (but that's when the angle of view is narrower).   You'll notice the hood on the version II is much shallower -- it's designed to work at the 24mm end but that means the hood is not providing much help at the 70mm end.

The lens uses 82mm filter threads.  That may sound inconsequential but the 24-70 and 70-200 are often used as a nice complimentary pair... but that means the filters that fit the 70-200 wont fit the 24-70 -- necessisitating that you (a) buy filters (ND, polarizers, etc.) in both sizes, or (b) buy everything in the 82mm size and use "step up rings" to allow the filters to be used on the 77mm thread lenses.

There was a bit of "zoom creep" on the original.  I have not used the II so I can't comment on whether or not it still has "zoom creep".  (zoom creep is where the weight of the lens is actually enough that merely pointing it up or down can cause the lens to want to creep in that direction... thereby changing your focal length if you're not holding on to it.  It's subtle... it's not like it slides to the limit... but it doesn't stay precisely where you left it.  It will move a bit.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Or a wide rubber band from Office Depot.  You get a huge bag for a buck or two.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements