cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting an R10 - does the 18-150 kit make sense given the lenses I have?

jesma
Apprentice

I decided with help from people here to spring for an R10, upgrading from my ancient Rebel XT. I've also heard a ton of good things about the 18-150mm, and am leaning towards getting it, but I do already have a Sigma 17-50 and a 50/1.8, so it seems like there's decent overlap here for the shorter focal lengths.

Is there another lens that I could get for similar price to the 18-150mm that would maybe cover the ranges I don't own better? Or is the 18-150mm just too good a deal as a kit lens to pass up if I don't have a longer lens already?

I'm mostly interested in street, portrait, and travel photography (with some architecture).

4 REPLIES 4

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
It is hard for me to comment on the economics as I don't know your budget constraints, and I don't live in the US, so I shall pass that side onto others.
Usually kit lenses are a good deal bundled with the body, so from a general economic point of view they do represent good value.  As to whether you need that range, I would consider a couple of things:
- Depending on the style of photography you do, are you likely to need that range in one lens for compactness and convenience - given the other zoom is nowhere near that focal range?  - The Sigma and 50mm will need to have an adapter to make them work, and that will add extra bulk and weight to the system.  So, is that something that is convenient for a carry around situation?
-  RF lenses offer benefits over adapted lenses because they are designed specifically for the new platform, and if you felt you have the 'normal' range covered by your current glass, then the RF 55-210 would be the next logical extension.  It's also a kit lens when combined with the RF-S 18-45.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Agree with Trevor's questions and suggestions.   For a single lens solution.  If budget permits, I'd pair the R10 with the RF-S 18-150.  It has a slight edge over the 55-210 in several key areas and will compliment your new body.  I would not bother adapting the Sigma's to the new body for the reasons Trevor noted.  I owned the 17-70 (similar) to your 17-50 for many years.  I'd retire them or consider offering them with the XT to offset the expense of the new gear.  If you plan to buy multiple lenses, then consider the others and do you best to avoid FL overlap.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you are purchasing a R Series camera body, it would be wise to own at least one Canon RF mount lens.  The RF lenses have next generation image quality.

Having one RF lens on hand would be invaluable for troubleshooting issues with an RF-EF mount adapter.  Is it the camera or the mount adapter? [be sure to only use Canon mount adapters]

Do not expect your Sigma DSLR lens to be fully compatible with an MILC body.  Most of them are not, especially when it comes to capturing video or high speed bursts when capturing stills.  If your Canon EF 50mm is not a newer STM version, then it may not be fully compatible either.

Most Canon EF lenses initially released prior to 2009 are not fully compatible with camera bodies with Dual Pixel AF sensors.  Dual Pixel AF sensors were first introduced in 2009.  I believe the R10 contains at least a second generation Dual Pixel AF sensor.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If you have this Sigma lens, Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM Lens, it is a very good lens and should be even better on a new R10 but I have not tried it so you need to before you purchase another lens. However the two you are comparing are not really comparable since the Canon has 100mm more FL. I would say they are complementary to each other and just might work well together. One a fast constant aperture and the other with 100mm more FL.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements