cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General purpose lens recommendations for EOS R7

srg6
Contributor

Question: Getting back to being strictly a hobbyist. Recently purchased R-7 with RF 18 - 150 mm kit lens.  Used to have a Canon 50D and will be able to use my old EFS 18 - 200mm and EFS 60 mm macro lenses with R7 and adapter. Looking to add another two lenses to provide additional versatility to what I own. I don't concentrate in any specific genre (as example landscape, wildlife) just like general photography which could include just about anything. Would appreciate your recommendations on at least two new specific lenses to add. Thanks in advance for your help! 

6 REPLIES 6

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You might want something wide and something long. While not Canon, the Sigma/Tamron 150-600's work well when adapted.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

It would be helpful to have a budget value so we suggest lenses you can afford.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Top end about $1000 - 1200.00 

Aurora4233
Enthusiast

I also have an R7 that I absolutely love and I take the most 'outstanding' pictures with the RF 70-200 f2.8.  That lens is beyond your budget but I would suggest the RF 70-200 f4 because 80% of my pics are f4 and higher although the gold is often at f2.8.

If you completely want to stay in budget and have a 'total package' I'd look at the RF 100-400 pairing it with the RF 24-240.  The R7 or R6mII and those two lenses are my 'travel pack' and they've taken the most pictures overall.  You can look me up and see some posts where I rave about the RF 24-240 as an absolutely perfect walk around lens if I could only have one.  Pairing it with an RF 100-400 covers absolutely everything.  Both lenses weigh nothing (unbelievably) and I have a sling type bag that carries both lenses and a body (and wallet, keys, glasses, everything) and I can't tell I'm carrying anything.  You're not going to get the mesmerizing wide open apertures but you're going to get fantastic pics of anything you want and that 'set' is my go-to for inconspicuous street photography.  I put a post up about roaming New Orleans with those lenses and the R7 and it was outstanding.

While I'd certainly hope you could get the L-series gold I can honestly say that the RF 24-240 and/or RF 100-400 perform well beyond their price point and they're painless to carry with you so that's my vote on a budget then L-series gold when you can and want to pay for it.

~Chris

Thanks for the recommendations. So given the two lenses between the RF 100- 400 and the RF- 24-240, and if I were only to purchase one at this time, which one would you purchase for the most versatility?

Thanks again for your advice, appreciate it. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Recently purchased R-7 with RF 18 - 150 mm kit lens.  ...  EFS 18 - 200mm and EFS 60 mm macro lenses with R7 ..."

Looks like some FL redundancy. I would sell the 18-200mm and 60mm for whatever you can get which won't be much and get something outside of the FL the excellent 18-150mm kit lens already provides. Although 18mm is pretty wide angle its not so much on a R7 so perhaps something under 18mm. And one of the 150-600mm super zooms would work well on the upper end.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
click here to view the gallery
Announcements