cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Film lenses on 6D

Alimurphy007
Apprentice

Hi Everyone!

I recently inherited the following items from my grandfather. 

1 - TOYO OPTICS AUTO TELEZOOM 1:45 80-200Mm

1 - SMC Pentax-M 1:28 28mm

1 - SMC Pentax-M 1:17 50mm

1 - Miranda Pentax SENSOREX with a Auto Miranda 1:14 f=50mm and Asahi Pentax AF200S flash

1 - Pentax super program with an SMC PENTAX-A 1:2 50mm lens

1 - Pentax ME SUPER with a Albinar ADG 28Mm 1:28 macros focus lens

1 Bentley Optical Lens 1:6f=50mm lens

1 Canon auto teleconverter

I was wondering if anyone had any information on how I can use the lenses on my current camera (Canon 6D). Is there any adapter or adapters I can purchase to use them? 

14 REPLIES 14

@normadel wrote:

I've seen the Ed Mika kit, or another one like it. They are not adapters which keep the FD lens intact. They are CONVERSIONS which replace the FD mount on the lens with an EF mount. For what they cost and require, not something I was motivated to do.

Ed Mika made both adapters AND conversion kits,  at various times. 

Very early on Ed Mika started off manufacturing some very thin 0.75mm thick FD-EF mount adapters. These worked well with Canon FD super telephoto lenses that had extra focus travel built in. They did not well with regular lenses like the FD 50mm as they could not achieve infinity focus. 

A6D83829-BA34-4334-8EF7-7DB3C5F1C3F3.jpeg

Later on ED Mika produced kits that replaced the entire FD mount with an EF mount. The first ones were brass, and then he later switched to black polymer.

B0F053F2-59D7-4AD2-8CBC-FB705BD698B2.jpeg

B9B8E207-D34F-4EBE-8B20-F4A6252B549F.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

"They are CONVERSIONS which replace the FD mount on the lens with an EF mount."

You are simply messing with words. The result is the same.

"For what they cost and require, not something I was motivated to do"

Perhaps you missed this part of my reply.

"... it is not worth it unless you have a truly fantastic old lens like one of the old "great" whites. "

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

Here are some photos of the original Canon. There is one for sale right now on eBay for $324.

4D99A535-301E-48BC-8B98-117D6AA6106F.jpeg10AAE425-3350-4225-9E66-99FC6DA3EABD.jpeg1907C56F-F2DD-4B66-95B7-B328064DD3DB.jpegAE6C1F4E-75A8-4C5B-A50F-469E6C17BC11.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It is always better if you have actually done what you are commenting on.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

amfoto1
Authority

First we have to sort out what you actually have...

1 - Miranda Pentax SENSOREX with a Auto Miranda 1:14 f=50mm and Asahi Pentax AF200S flash

Miranda Sensorex is a historic, somewhat collectable SLR and an Auto Miranda 50mm f/1.4 lens might be expected to be fitted to it. This camera and lens have nothing to do with Pentax and are not in anyway cross compatible with the Pentax lenses, cameras or flash. Miranda used their own 44mm lens threadmount earlier, then a reversed bayonet lens mount later... I have no idea which of those two types of lens you might have. The Sensorex was one of the first cameras Miranda made with both these these, to accommodate both older and the new lenses they were offering at the time.

In 1966, when this camera was introduced, it was common for SLR cameras to be fitted with a 50mm lens. The Auto-Miranda 50mm f/1.4 lens was a premium option. It was more typical for them to be fitted with 50mm f/1.8 lens.

You can get a free copy of the Miranda Sensorex camera manual here. I suggest you download that and study the basics before trying to do anything with the camera.

It is possible, but I think unlikely, that the Toyo zoom or Bentley lens are designed to fit the Miranda camera. Once you know how to properly remove the 50mm lens from the Miranda camera, you can compare the back of the Toyo lens to the rear of the Miranda lens, to see if they are the same.

I suspect the Toyo zoom lens is much newer and that it's designed to fit the Pentax cameras. See below for more about the Bentley.

The Pentax ME Super camera was introduced around 1977. The Pentax Super Program came out about five years later. They both can be used with those Pentax-M lenses (they also can be used with Pentax-A lenses). Apparently that Albinar lens is also in Pentax "K" bayonet mount (also sometimes called "P/K mount"), if it's already installed on one of the Pentax camera. 

Those Pentax are both fairly advanced cameras for their day.... not pro, but just one or two notches below. User manuals for both Pentax cameras can be found here.

The Pentax AF200S flash you mentioned is NOT designed for use with the Miranda camera. It was offered along with the Pentax ME Super camera, but also will work with the later Super Program. That flash has some additional automated modes when used with those cameras. It also can be used with any camera that has a standard "hot shoe" (which the Miranda lacks). You can get a user manual for this flash too, at the above link.

I searched for but didn't find a "Bentley" lens. I DID find a "Bentley BX-3" camera with a "Bentley Optical Lens 50mm 6:1f" lens on it. That's a cheap, very basic, mostly plastic, point 'n' shoot film camera. Scale set exposure and focus. If you have a complete camera, it's not worth much. If you have only the lens, it's worth even less because it doesn't fit anything and shouldn't even have been removed from the camera.

As to using the lenses on your 6D. Yes, you can. But...

You really only need two adapters. The first is for the Miranda lens. This DOES have an optical element in the adapter, needed to be able to focus to infinity. But that will probably spoil the image quality. There is one adapter with a removable element, which will make for better images quality but the lens will not be able to focus all the way to infinity while it's removed. (Note: the Miranda adapters can accommodate both the screwmount and the bayonet mount types of lenses.)

The other adapter you need is Pentax P/K to EOS EF. This DOES NOT require any optics, so there is no concern about loss of image quality to a cheap "corrective" element. Some vintage Pentax-M and Pentax-A lenses are excellent. May be worth a try!

You'll notice at the above link that some adapters are "chipped for focus confirmation". These have electronic contacts that correspond with those in your camera, which can allow the focus confirmation feature of the camera to work, but does NOT allow autofocus or aperture control. Those are strictly manual, so shooting with vintage lenses like these is slower than using modern lenses. But focus confirmation can be helpful, and is only possible with adapted lenses by "fooling" the camera with that chip on the adapter.

If you're interested, there is more information about adapting and using vintage lenses on Canon EF ...

Finally, you mention a Canon Auto Teleconverter. Without a photo it's hard to be sure.... but I suspect that's for the earlier Canon "FD" mount cameras. Various 3rd party manufacturers labelled some "Auto 2X Teleconverter for Canon" and sometimes would say if they were "FD". Only if it says "Autofocus" instead of just "Auto", it might be usable on your camera, with your Canon EF lenses. But if it's the earlier FD mount, it is not usable and if it's 3rd party (Canon always labelled theirs "Extenders", not "teleconverters") it's probably not very high quality. But without more info or photos of it, all this is just a guess. 

I hope this helps!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

Announcements