cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FD 135mm lens repair needed

SW-1966
Apprentice

Hello everyone.

I have a Canon AE-1 that is still in beautiful working condition that I would like to pass down to my son who has decided to go to college to become a photographer. The one thing that I need repaired is the 135mm lens. Can anyone tell me if Canon or anyone else can fix this for me?

11 REPLIES 11

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is a really nice gesture.  In all honesty, you may be hard pressed to find someone or a shop that can perform or complete the repair.  Not for a lack of expertise, but instead due to getting parts.  The AE-1 was my first camera.  1976 or 78 if I remember. 

If you are resigned to using film, I'd look for a used replacement lens.  However, buying a mirrorless body and lens would be a better investment.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@SW-1966 wrote:

Hello everyone.

I have a Canon AE-1 that is still in beautiful working condition that I would like to pass down to my son who has decided to go to college to become a photographer. The one thing that I need repaired is the 135mm lens. Can anyone tell me if Canon or anyone else can fix this for me?

Keh camera has a "Bargain" graded copy of that lens for ~$500. (I am amazed at that price).

Screenshot 2024-10-07 142045.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

John_SD
Whiz

"I have a Canon AE-1 that is still in beautiful working condition that I would like to pass down to my son who has decided to go to college to become a photographer."

An AE-1? Maybe you could pass along your Motorola Dynatac along with it LOL. Seriously, if the boy is ready to go to college to study photography, he will need a proper camera and lens. One from this century. Look into a good mirrorless rig to get him started off right. 

There is nothing stopping one from learning photography with a semi-automatic film camera. I would argue, in fact, that film can cause a student to slow down and be more thoughtful and considerate about what they are doing. Nothing slowed me down and forced me to think about what I was doing during my photographic education (yes, I have a degree in photography) than when I was out lugging a large format camera around and each time I exposed a sheet of it cost me ~$2.00, plus processing time. Having a limited number of exposures, limited by the number of rolls of film you have with you, can certainly have the same effect.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have the FD 135mm f2 lens and it is a beautiful lens with that huge objective and like JRH, I too was shocked at the asking price for it used. There were other versions of the 135mm and you didn't say which one you have. I suspect repair isn't possible at least finding a shop that can do it won't be easy.

You can give phototronic.biz  in Topeka, KS a try. He is an older one man shop and has repaired older stuff before. If your 135mm isn't the f2 model (f2.8 or f3.5) a good, known working, lens is probably going to be the better way forward.

I have to agree with John above unless the course requires a film camera you need to get him a new R series camera and lenses.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

In case anyone was wondering, posting links to third-party sites, especially those that sell competing products, is usually against our rules. The link EB posted above is an exception because the shop offers a service that Canon doesn't, and it's helpful to #TeamCanon. 

Thank you for all you do, EB. We truly appreciate you!

Well it is getting ever more difficult to find a shop that can or will service our older gear. I still have all my FD stuff and I still use it occasionally. I had my F1n cleaned a little while back by an older fellow who has since passed away.  But I found this shop again an older fellow in Topeka.that is able to do some repairs.

Thanx for the kind words Stephen.

EB

I know this is off topic but still in the realm of older gear, that F1n traveled all over this USA with me. We went through some terrific and some difficult times together. There is no way it will ever leave my side even though it doesn't get used like it once did. I know an inanimate object but sometimes they mean a lot.

EB

SW-1966
Apprentice

Thank you everyone for the responses. In passing on the Canon AE-1 I know that he would not be able to use it in college. It was more sentimental than anything. I have known many photographers who love to take out an old film camera to play with once and a while. It is simply amazing. I have instamatics, an old reel camera, etc. Thank you all again for the great responses.

Announcements