cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extender EF 2x III

Tape
Contributor

Will the Extender EF 2x III work with Canon 90D?

I know it's an EF mount but will it work with the camera and the lenses for the 90D?

10 REPLIES 10

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

It will depend upon the lens (only compatible with certain fixed focal length lenses).  See the specifications HERE.

And also do look here: EOS 90D Supplimental Information (search that PDF for 2x).  It will show all the compatible lenses along with what group the camera will clasify things (A, B, etc.).  A designation of group A will mean the least amount of limitations.

The main camera manual may also have details about the various groups.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Depending upon how exacting your tastes, you may not be happy with the results from the 2X extender.  To me, even when used with Canon's highest IQ primes (200 f2, 300 and 400 f2.8), the quality hit is very noticeable.  I have used a 1.4X first II and then III converter often and although I owned a 2X II and tried a 2X III, I have used maybe half a dozen at most images taken with the 2X and I hold none of them in high esteem.

So before buying, make sure you are going to find the results acceptable.  With the best primes maybe, with the lesser primes probably not, and even the better zooms are pretty much a no.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Will the Extender EF 2x III work with Canon 90D?"

The 90D is designed to work with EF-S lenses. However, nEF-S lenses are compatible with any of the Canon Extenders. This means you will have to limit yourself to EF lenses only.  And even that, they are only compatible with specific EF lenses

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Depending upon how exacting your tastes, ..."

More to the point is, depending upon how exacting your requirements.  In other words, how are you to use the photos? IME, no 2x tel-on is worth using for any reason. However, I find the 1.4 tel-con works reasonably well on the ef 70-200mm f2.8L zooms. It also works well on the ef 300mm f4L.

But back to the real issue is how will you use the photos. For instance if they are to be u/l to Facebook almost anything is OK. If on the other hand you are going to make 11x14 high quality metal prints, than no.  You get the idea and probably lie somewhere in between.

For me, I probably have seven or eight, maybe nine, different tel-con extenders and I so rarely use any of them I can't really tell you how many I have!  Except way too many!!!!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Tape wrote:

Will the Extender EF 2x III work with Canon 90D?

I know it's an EF mount but will it work with the camera and the lenses for the 90D?

Yes, but you're asking the wrong question.  The Canon EOS EF 2x III will work with the Canon 90D, because it has an EF mount.  Except, as others have pointed out, teleconverters are designed to only work with specific lenses.  

Someone posted a link to the "Supplemtary Information" User Guide for the 90D.  Refer to that for a complete listing of what lenses are compatible with the 1.4x and 2x teleconverters, and what that "compatibility" actually means.  You will lose AF points.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tape
Contributor

You guys are awesome, thank you very much for your input.

This Smugmug gallery has 5 shots I took of the moon last May using an EF 800 f5.6 bare, with a 1.4x, a couple with a 2X, and the last with a Celestron CPC 1100 (equivalent to a 2800mm f10 lens) using a 1DX III.  The lens data for each image is available in the information button, the telescope shows up as no lens since it doesn't communicate with the camera.

Different situations will yield different results and there are probably some cases where the 2X would provide better results than I achieved. 

https://rodgersingley.smugmug.com/Moon-EF-800-and-Celestron/n-ZHMxK5

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star

The OP did not state what type of photograph, Subject?

Although the question was specific as to if it would “Fit” on a 90D, I witness a lot of extender bashing whenever the subject comes up.

I hesitated to respond, however I purchased the EF 2x III, for a specific reason, one and one only.

And I realize that with different cameras and lens combinations you will not have full functionality, however there are specific methods that one can compensate for depending on the subject and the budget.

My subject, the Moon, utilizing a Canon 5Dsr, Canon EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS II USM, EF 2x III & a 1/6 Crop Factor, producing a theoretical 1280 mm.

Yes, it reduced the f-stop to f11, exactly what I wanted, yes, I lost auto focus, intended manual focus anyway by utilizing built in digital zoom and manually focusing and backing out.

As anyone whom wishes to photograph the Moon it is more about conditions than anything, however the gear also does matter, especially megapixels when looking for detail, and post processing of course.

I attempted the exact same photo without the extender, aggressively cropped and the difference was negligible and I am post processing on a 5K Monitor with a computer that has specs off the chart, 24 Core Processor with 198GB of RAM, I preferred the results with the extender.

The need for a 2x Extender is specific, I will agree, not something you would use for anything in motion, however in defense of the unit, it serves my single purpose economically, for the longest L Series Lenses are out of my price range, and a Telescope is and will be a future purchase, for know I am having a lot of fun.

For full Res View, and remember 500px compresses large files and you have to give it a few seconds depending on your internet speed.

https://500px.com/photo/302844653/full-moon-april-2019-by-paul-herold

Taken 1 year ago, hoping for good conditions this evening.

FM April 2019.jpg

Sorry for being defensive, however I love the unit.

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star
I had seen them on a previous post, and they are knock out incredible, I envy your gear, I dream of the day when I can afford better, being a land surveyor I will soon add the correct components to a Crain Tripod, for even my Manfrotto is too light for perfect stability, I have considered cementing a 2" pipe in concrete in my backyard on the south side, just because I can lol, then I would no longer have that to blame.
I have studied jet stream variables, humidity and altitude all in hopes of the best conditions, as you know it still comes down to atmosphere.
Announcements