cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extender 1.4 to use with 70D and EF 70-200 f/4 IS. Any compatibility problems?

Albro
Apprentice

I am planning to get the Extender 1.4 to use with my EOS 70D and the EF 70-200mm f/4 IS.  Are there any compatibility problems with this combination?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"...  they will work perfectly together."

Perfectly may be a stretch but, yes, they will work as well as the combo can.  Anytime you add something like a tele exrender you have to give up something.  In photography you give to get.  There is no free lunch. Fortunately you are starting out with a pretty good lens and can afford to lose an f-stop and some IQ.

Let me pose a slightly different question. Suppose you already have (as many of us do) a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II. Suppose you add the 1.4 tele-extender. The combination would result, I believe, in a 98-280mm f/4, a potentially useful lens that doesn't appear in Canon's lineup. So given the cost of the TE and the image quality of the combination, is buying the TE a smart move?

Note that buying the TE does not compromise the 70-200 in any way, since it's still as good as it ever was without the TE. The combination, for the price of the TE, stands or falls on its own.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JonKline
Enthusiast

Assuming you get the Canon 1.4x and the Canon 70-200 lens, they will work perfectly together.

Consider spending the extra for the f/2.8, since you know you'll be using the extender. Losing a stop means your lens will start at f/5.6, which makes it very difficult to use indoors.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Perfectly may be a stretch but, yes, they will work as well as the combo can.  Anytime you add something like a tele exrender you have to give up something.  In photography you give to get.  There is no free lunch. Fortunately you are starting out with a pretty good lens and can afford to lose an f-stop and some IQ.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Let me pose a slightly different question. Suppose you already have (as many of us do) a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II. Suppose you add the 1.4 tele-extender. The combination would result, I believe, in a 98-280mm f/4, a potentially useful lens that doesn't appear in Canon's lineup. So given the cost of the TE and the image quality of the combination, is buying the TE a smart move?

Note that buying the TE does not compromise the 70-200 in any way, since it's still as good as it ever was without the TE. The combination, for the price of the TE, stands or falls on its own.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA

Yes sir, you have a point and hard to not like.  Very hard!  One reason I have several tele extenders.  But, there is always a "but" isn't there?  If you don't have to use one all the better.  With the exception of the ten thousand dollar EF 200-400mm that has a purposely designed extender, all lenses will degrade with their use.  And even that specificly, purpose designed combo has better IQ with out the extender.  Does it not?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements