cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T8i Lens Compatibility

biancasoto
Apprentice

how do i know what lenses will fit my camera? i will be getting a canon T8i. i am all new to this

6 REPLIES 6

Lenses designated EF or EF-S will work perfectly on your T8i. This will be in the name of the lens, like EF 100mm xxx or EF-S 18-55mm XXX. Lots of variations, but EF or EF-S will be in the name 🙂 Now, there are differences in these designations, like the size of the image circle (how much of the sensor the image covers), so you will want to research a bit to get an idea of which you want to buy.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

EF and EF-S are compatible with your camera. EF-S lenses are specifically designed for crop sensor cameras such as the Rebel T8i. EF lenses will work but they'll have a 1.6x crop applied while using them. EF lenses are the original EOS lenses designed to cover 35mm film. They also cover a Full Frame digital sensor which is the same size as 35mm film. The following lenses aren't compatible RF, RF-S and EF-M

-Demetrius

EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM & EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM

EOS 40D & 5D Mark IV

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Lotus7
Rising Star

As already stated your T8i can use any lens in a EF or EF-S mount.

That includes not only all Canon EF/EF-S lenses, but hundreds of lenses manufactured by dozens of other lens makers.  Go to the a website of a reputable photographic retailer like B & H Photo or Adorama and search for "EF Mount Lenses".  Canon EF lenses are fine and generally worth their prices, but there are plenty of other brands which may work well for your specific needs. 

Additionally, lens adapters are available to allow use of lenses originally designed for other (non-Canon) cameras or even older lenses originally intended for mechanical film SLRs Like the Canon FD Series.  Usually, those lenses can only be used in non-automatic (manual) modes, so will slow-down your photography.  However, that can then force one to concentrate more on composition and lighting details.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...or even older lenses originally intended for mechanical film SLRs ..."

One caveat here. Some older, out of production, off brand EF mount lens may not work as expected on a T8i. There really isn't a way to tell unless you try one. I would shy away from these all together even though their price may be attractive.

This does not include the group that goes full manual with any adapter. The very best lens for the T8i is the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens, IMHO, of course. It will become your workhorse and cover 90% of most photography requirements barring a nice tele or super tele zoom. Otherwise just stick with the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens. It's a good marriage for the T8i.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

Biancasoto,

If you can download or go to an online manual for your T8i, there is a long list of compatible lenses starting on page 745 of the manual.

You can find an online copy of the manual here:

https://cam.start.canon/en/C002/manual/html/index.html

Steve Thomas

LilPhoto_Witch9
Apprentice

http://tamron.jp/product/lenses

I have this lens ^ and it seems to work very well with this camera! But I have one issue with it. I think the lens causes the autofocus/tracking to be a bit noisy because I hear it during recording and in the playback after reviewing. It can be annoying but I feel that it is telling you that the tracker of the Autofocus is working. Just wish it was quieter though. Is there a way to remedy it? I have tried an external mic and I needed to get a piece of styrofoam to make it a directional mic. The condenser mic worked well when there was rain but it still picked up the internal sounds of the autofocus. 

Any ideas would be great too!

Thank you!

Announcements