cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T7 lens compatibility question

Raymondk1_
Contributor

Good Morning Canon family. What lens can i use for this. Can i use the ef 50mm f/1.8 stm lens for this camera or do i need an adapter 

image.jpg

16 REPLIES 16

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Your camera is compatible with all Canon EF & EF-S. Canon EF-M, RF and RF-S lenses ARE NOT COMPATIBLE with your camera.

1000004105.png

1000004106.png

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thank you bro

Note the EF 50mm F/1.8 STM lens uses an electronic focus ring. The camera metering system must be active for the electronic focus ring to work. The shutter button must be pressed half way down while turning the focus ring. So the lens' AF motor has power to adjust focus. The focus ring WILL NOT work with the camera set to AI Servo or AI Focus it will be ignored. The camera must be set to One Shot then it will work. Also this lens will have an angle of view of 80mm on your camera. The image sensor in your camera has a 1.6x crop factor compared to full frame. So the 50mm lens would be close to a portrait lens.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

So if i have it one shot i wont have to turn the focus ring

The lens will autofocus normally. If you want to manually override AF. You have to half press the shutter button and turn the focus ring. If you want to use what Canon calls Full Time Manual Focus or Manual Focus Override. Not ALL lenses support this feature. All STM lenses support this feature. If the lens doesn't say STM or USM (there are some lenses that don't support it) in the name it doesn't support it. Also Ring Type and Nano USM lenses also support it. Most Ring Type USM lenses don't require a half press of the shutter button for Full Time Manual Focus. They use a clutch under the focus ring to provide Full Time Manual Focus mechanically instead of electrically. Some Ring Type USM lenses such as the EF 85mm F/1.2L II USM lens provides Manual Focus Override electrically like an STM lens does. Also Nano USM provides Manual Focus Override electrically too. Canon used to use a cheaper USM AF motor called Micro Motor USM. These lenses DO NOT provide Full Time Manual Focus so NEVER turn the focus ring without switching the lens to MF first. This AF motor was discontinued years ago and replaced by Nano USM. The only lens that provides Manual Focus Override with a Micro Motor USM AF motor is the EF 50mm F/1.4 USM lens.

-Demetrius

so if i buy this today i won't need an adapter?

IMG_9247.jpeg

No adapter is needed your camera natively mounts Canon EF & EF-S lenses. Also only buy camera gear from Canon Authorized Dealers. Stayaway from Amazon Marketplace or any other online Marketplace. Stick with B&H Photo NY, Adorama & KEH Camera. For any camera gear related purchases. Gray Market items purchased WILL HAVE NO WARRANTY. Canon also has the right to refuse repair of Gray Market gear.

-Demetrius

I was going to use bestbuy cause i wanted to buy it today

If you Google a list for Canon Authorized Dealers. Canon has list on their website of Authorized Dealers. I'm not sure if Best Buy is one. If it is I would go directly to a Best Buy store. Their Website is an online marketplace so there is a potential for Gray Market equipment.

-Demetrius

click here to view the gallery
Announcements