cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R7 Landscape Lens Recommendations

iaokie
Contributor

Seeking advice on options for a landscape lens that will work with my R 7 I have now and work with the R5 Mk 2 i hopefully can purchase in a year or so

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If I owned an R seirs camera I would not invest or buy any more EF lenses. Look forward not backward.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Almost any lens can work.  I’d recommend the RF 24-105mm f/2.8L because of the tripod foot.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Good morning,

Two things that might really help us.  Can you provide us with your budget?  Also, how wide do you want your landscapes to be? 

The soon to be shipping RF 10-20 is an option. A much lower cost alternative would be the RF16 f2.8.  The only reason I make these suggestions is because you're going to use them on an APS-C body (today).  Other options like the 15-35 or 14-35 can be considered.  

You may decide that a lens with a slightly shorter focal length will work best with your R7 due to its equivalent field of view and perspective.  

Agree with Waddizzle, there is no doubt that the RF 24-105 is going to be an impressive lens.  People will love it.  I also believe a Mark II of the RF 70-200 with an internal zoom will follow.  

Again, it really comes down to the perspective you want to achieve and budget. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yes budget would prefer to be under a thousand so would consider buying used from reputable sellers and didn't know how good off brand lenses would be

I haven't really thought about width but living here in northeastern Oklahoma there's plenty of lakes hills and forests to capture 

Ive been using my kit lens along with the nifty 50 and the 100-500 for birding and wildlife which do ok but just wanting something better for landscapes

I sympathize with the budget concerns and I'm here to tell you B&H and KEH as well as Canon Refurb have all treated me fantastically.  Picked up my wife's outstanding RF 24-105 f4L used for $789.98 and despite a significant gouge in the front glass at the periphery it shoots marvelously.  We beat our gear up sailing, flying, deploying to the desert etc so I can't justify buying new when the first trip will beat everything down.  Any of the reputable used dealers allow full refund returns as well so zero worries. 

Before my mirrorless I bought a legendary million pound heavy metal Canon EF 35-350L used from B&H for just over $500 with their lowest quality rating.  It arrived missing paint, dented, several mild scratches on the glass but it took amazing pictures all over the world worth $1M to me and I didn't worry a minute about dust, mud or drops.  It's completely liberating to have a capable but inexpensive used lens.

For wide angle outdoor and surprisingly useful indoor I enjoy the RF 14-35L f4 folks have mentioned.  I've included some pics that are all on an R7 at 14mm or the 35mm end to give you the extremes.  I have pictures I like better but they're at 17mm etc and I know you're probably worried about wide on cropped sensor.

* The most fascinating example I dropped in here is the Alaska aurora shot that is at 14mm 6s f4.5 ISO4000 exposure just sitting on the roof of the rental car.  I'm sure this lens on a tripod with well thought out settings could do amazing things.

** All pics are handheldAFIA Eielson AK Sep 23 2251.JPGABQ Ballon Fest 8 Oct 23 R7 4186.JPGAFIA Eielson AK Sep 23 1354.JPGABQ Ballon Fest 8 Oct 23 R7 0669.JPGAFIA Eielson AK Sep 23 1325.JPGLa Luz 6 Oct 23 R7 0542.JPGLa Luz 6 Oct 23 R7 0463.JPG

Wow ! 
Great pics and quite a range in lighting 

Thanks for that info I’ll add that on my short list

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I’d recommend the RF 24-105mm f/2.8L because of the tripod foot."

Me too but not because of the tripod foot. It is just a great all around lens for general work. I would avoid any lens under 20mm or so FL if this is your only lens. Get the work horse first than get the nice to haves later.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Sounds good too maybe some sales coming up I'll watch for

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I like to shoot landscapers, especially panoramic images.  One problem I have with UWA, ultra wide angle, lenses is that they tend to distort the image by making objects seem further away than what they actually are.  The wider the lens, the worse the distortion.

The opposite is true with super telephoto lenses.  They make things seem closer than what they actually are, particularly the background objects compared to a foreground object.

I shoot most of my landscapes with a EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II.USM. When mounted on a tripod, I can easily rotate the camera to portrait mode to capture a series of pano shots, which I later combine in post.

9C5A6175-BE55-4E58-9254-0ED9006C3F7D.jpeg4C2986B5-2D2B-4DE0-9E2C-50B251503582.jpeg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

That looks great

I haven't tried pano shots yet I'm still figuring out the controls and settings but I am starting to get more acceptable photos 

There's so much information out there it's a bit overwhelming but I'm having fun and starting to understand it more

Announcements