cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF to RF Migration - Does Canon Help Us?

DrBohner
Apprentice

So I made that migration from my 6D to an R5 (and EFS Adapter for all my pretty glass).  So, the question - Are there any Canon Programs that help us switch the platforms?  I mean - if we have EF Glass in MINT condition and want to switch it out for R Glass - Is Canon Offering Any Help?

If they are - can someone point me to that program?  

If you know a good avenue to help with a migration - Please Share

(db)
Meridian, ID

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The EF to R adapter is the "migration" program.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Not that we know of. I think they feel that the adapters are enough.

(Love your soap, BTW)

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

🤣I wish I was the soap king.  I think bronner soaps are in in So Cal. 

@DrBohner,

I understand how you feel.  I've all but retired my gaggle of A+ condition EF glass, which now occupies a spare room at our home.  @Tronhard (Trevor) and I were talking about this last week.  He loves to shoot with his older gear.  I only have enough time to use my new stuff.  Options....  KEH, B&H and others will buy your used gear.  I sell stuff privately from time to time online too.  ebay, Offer Up, etc.  You need to get past the whole value proposition.  Something you paid $2k for and want to sell for $1k, but realistically you can only get $600.  Ya, your loss is someone else's gain.  I'm not quite there either, but you eventually have to "let go".

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Agree. For the price of the adapter every one of a photographer's EF glass is usable on an R series body (a body that he/she voluntarily bought). All reports are that the EF lenses perform better on an R-series body. I haven't read any reports where they don't work or perform well.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

DrBohner
Apprentice

I have the Adapter - There are two 'unfiltered' - I was never able to identify why there was a $100 difference (so, what's the difference between the two unfiltered adapters - $99 vs $199??)

I'll slowly watch for R lenses going on the market.  

Thanks Everyone

(db)

"I was never able to identify why there was a $100 difference (so, what's the difference between the two unfiltered adapters - $99 vs $199??)"

One has a control ring. Control rings are common on RF lenses, but not EF lenses, so the more expensive adapter lets you add one.

Lotus7
Rising Star

The $200 for the control ring adapter buys the digital rotary encoder and interface electronics, but also the stepping "click" tactile feedback and clicking noise (which videographers hate).  For an additional $60 Canon will remove the click mechanism from the $200 EF EOS R Mount Adapter, and for an additional $80 each they will remove it from most RF lenses. It's like the "radio delete"option for a Porsche GT-3, which for a extra $169.96 Porsche will keep the $1100 radio sound system you've already paid for leaving a hole in the dashboard. 🙂

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@DrBohner,

If you didn't get those analogies...  A control ring can be programmed to perform certain functions.  Example, change aperture, shutter speed, etc.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yes - I got it - and I find the new RF adventure 'interesting'...  Thank you!

Announcements