cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens Causing Problems

ruralvibe
Apprentice

No matter what camera body I attach my 17-85mm lens to, the view through the eye piece is heavily dimmed and the camera cannot take a picture. Any ideas as to what is going on? 

2 REPLIES 2

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Well, some questions might help us to help you.

Is this lens new to you?
If not, did it work before?   If it has stopped working has it had any knocks, bangs or other physical contact?
What cameras are you using the lens on?

All things being equal, if it was working before and you are using it on an APS-C DSLR, then my first reaction is that the aperture blades have stuck.  Normally, with a DSLR, you look through the viewfinder and you see the image with the aperture fully open, it only closes the aperture to your selected setting to shoot or if you choose exposure preview.

Given the age of the lens, if that is the case, it is extremely unlikely that it will be serviceable - it's way out of service life.  That lens was replaced in 2004 by the rather better 15-85, so you might pick up one of those.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Bottom line, it is broken and not worth fixing. Buy a new lens. Sorry!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements