cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF-S 15-18mm Focusing Ring not working on Manual Mode

amanoncekerby
Apprentice

Hi, I just acquired my unit and sadly, I bumped the front of the 18-55mm lens to my desk.. It's not that hard so I didn't mind it much but when I tested to use my camera which is Canon 800d the manual focus wasn't working anymore... I tried steering the ring but I think I broke it 😞 However, the autofocus is fully functional. 

Do you think I really broke the Focusing Ring? or is it because I steered it too much? Help me please Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@amanoncekerby wrote:

Hi, I just acquired my unit and sadly, I bumped the front of the 18-55mm lens to my desk.. It's not that hard so I didn't mind it much but when I tested to use my camera which is Canon 800d the manual focus wasn't working anymore... I tried steering the ring but I think I broke it 😞 However, the autofocus is fully functional. 

Do you think I really broke the Focusing Ring? or is it because I steered it too much? Help me please Thanks!

I do not think it is broken.

The standard 18-55mm kit lens for the 80D is the latest STM version.  It uses an electronic, “focus-by-wire” system.  This means that the focusing ring is not mechanical, not physically connected to any mechanisms.  

The camera’s focusing system must be active for the focusig ring to operate. This means the viewfinder display needs to be active.  You wake it up by half pressing the shutter button, or pressing the {AF-ON] button on the rear panel.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

What lens exactly do you have?  All the letters in its name.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@amanoncekerby wrote:

I do not think it is broken.

The standard 18-55mm kit lens for the 80D is the latest STM version.  It uses an electronic, “focus-by-wire” system.  This means that the focusing ring is not mechanical, not physically connected to any mechanisms.  

The camera’s focusing system must be active for the focusig ring to operate. This means the viewfinder display needs to be active.  You wake it up by half pressing the shutter button, or pressing the {AF-ON] button on the rear panel.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements