cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Lens not taking photos

alexhill2539
Apprentice

I recently bought a Canon EOS M Mount Adaptor for my Canon EOS M50 Mark ll camera to use ES/EF lenses and I bought a Canon EF 85mmf/1.8 USM Medium Telephoto lens but it won't take pictures only videos. Is this a bad lens? I have other lenses I've used with the adaptor so its not the adaptor. 

9 REPLIES 9

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Welcome to the Forum!
Sorry to learn you are having this issue.   I have several M cameras and an adapter, but have had no issue using various lenses with it.  I understand you have used other lenses with your adapter, but would not rule that out just yet.  Was the mount adapter you purchased a Canon brand unit?

Was the lens bought new or used?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Hi Trevor,

The adapter is a Canon brand unit and the lens was bought new recently. 

Thank you.

Thanks for you prompt reply!  In that case, if you bought the camera from a local store, I would suggest taking it to them and getting them to see the issue.   If no, you could contact canon support, 1-800-OK-CANON and have a talk to one of their technicians.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Have you tried cycling the AF/MF switch on the lens?  I am not sure how the M series reacts when it is attached to an EF lens via the adapter with an AF/MF switch set to manual and the lens hasn't been manually focused.

The EF 85 f1.8 has one of the best price to performance ratios in the Canon EF line and is the only non-L series Canon lens I own.  Several times I have used the 85 f1.8 on one body and the 200 f2 on a second body when shooting HS basketball in dark gyms.  Optical performance of the 85 f1.8 is excellent and it also focuses very quickly so you will enjoy having that lens once you get the issue figured out.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The 85mm focal length must be an easy one to construct.. It seems all the makers of them make a great or at least a very good 85mm lens.

I have owned all the 85's, the Tamron, Sigma Art (fantastic lens) and all the Canon models. All are gone on to new homes with the exception of the Canon 85mm f/1.2 L II USM. It is an utterly unbelievable lens. Of course being an 85mm, it has limited uses but when you need it, its great. The f1.2 model is slow to AF so that must be kept in mind. But there is nothing like f1.2 !

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

If my EF 85 f1.8 dies, I will try the Siggy.  I much prefer the Sigma 50 f1.4 to the EF 50 f1.4 it replaced.

Maybe Sigma will bring out a high end DSLR when the other manufacturers abandon this segment 🙂

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The EF 85 f1.8 has one of the best price to performance ratios in the Canon EF line and is the only non-L series Canon lens I own."

You know I can't really say anything bad about the Canon EF 85mm f1.8. It is just a good workhorse of a lens. No bad habits.  But if you have not tried the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, you are really missing out on a truly fantastic lens. I would never give up my EF 85mm f/1.2 L II USM, but in truth the Siggy Art may be the best 85mm lens ever produced. (DSLR wise that is.)

EB

amfoto1
Authority

I have a Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM lens adapted for use on my Canon EOS M5 camera and it works fine taking still photos (I haven't tried it with video... only because I almost never shoot video).

The EF to EF-M adapter I'm using is 3rd party, not Canon brand. But I don't think that matters. Those adapters really aren't all that complex... no optics, just a spacer and pass through electronic contacts.

I can only guess at what's wrong with your 85mm... But if the lens focuses in video mode there's no reason I can think of that it shouldn't work in photo mode too. Probably you have something set incorrectly. Look for any differences between your AF settings in the two modes.

Besides checking those settings, the only thing I can suggest is take the lens off the camera and the adapter off the lens, then use a clean, lint free rag dampened with a drop or two of isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, wipe the electronic contacts on the rear of the lens and the rear of the adapter. This removes any oils (perhaps from handling) that might interrupt the low voltage electronic communications. Also check that pins corresponding to those contacts look "normal".  They're spring loaded to make good contact. Check that they all protrude properly.

I doubt that cleaning will help or the inspection of the pins will find anything. If there were something wrong, it would effect AF both in video and in photo modes... not just one of them.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I doubt that cleaning will help or the inspection of the pins will find anything."

It's just a "feel good", I did something thing. It won't help or fix the problem. The best "feel good" thing you can do is reset the camera to defaults settings or factory settings if you will. Menu>Tool>Clear all settings and Clear all custom settings. Any time you see any unexplainable issue that you don't know "why", resetting the camera will sometimes make it go away.

EB
Announcements