cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 75-300mm What to add to improve zoom for wildlife photography

Krixy
Contributor

What can I add to my Cannon zoom lens EF 75 to 300 mm lens to have a better zoom to take pictures of wildlife? 

4 REPLIES 4

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What camera?

Nothing, the EF 75 -300 is not that great of a lens, so a teleconverter will not do much for you. I suggest saving your money and getting either the Tamron or Sigma 150-600mm zoom.

It’s a rebel t7 .. it’s my very first camera and I’m learning right now, but I’m really eager to get better pictures😂

Sell the EF 75-300mm this is Canon's worst lens every made. If you want a similar focal length look into the EF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS II USM lens. This lens has image stabilization and a fast Nano USM AF motor. Compared to the EF 75-300mm which uses a very old and slow AF motor called Micro Motor. This AF motor was first released in 1993 and has been discontinued and replaced by STM (Stepper Motor) in 2012.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Well, I disagree with the above post and do agree with this post, " I suggest saving your money and getting either the Tamron or Sigma 150-600mm zoom."

As to selling your current lens that's OK but it ain't worth much so you might as well keep if for whatever good it may do you. You see 300mm isn't quite long enough as a real good and a user friendly focal length unless you can get pretty close to your subject. Of course getting closer is always better than better and/or bigger glass.

You don't want to speed your money and later find out you bought the wrong lens, EF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS II USM lens, and need to buy another again. You are at that place now!  400mm is a good FL to use as a bottom and anything above will be even better for wildlife especially small birds. That is assuming you are not shooting elephants!

The Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 is the best of the bunch currently.  The Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary Lens is a little less money and my second choice. For a real deal Canon you have the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens, very good lens, but it is twice the price of the Siggy and only 400mm. But these are my suggestions for you. Chinese proverb, "Buy the best and cry once."

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements