cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 70-200 2.8 IS USM: does not focus

NancyEv
Contributor

Recently, I am unable to focus my lens using the focus ring (stuck on infinity-when I turn the ring, nothing happens (R7 camera).  When I try to use center point focus, the camera cannot focus on things closer than infinity.  Sometimes Eye-detect works, but most of the time it doesn’t.  Also, when I shoot in eye-detect mode, the first picture is sometimes good, but subsequent images lose focus.  Thoughts?

17 REPLIES 17

When I turn the focus ring when the lens is off the camera, nothing happens in the focus window.

Even if you turn it both ways? Do you feel any resistance when turning it. The focus ring should turn indefinitely. You'll feel resistance at the end of the focus through. But it will keep turning.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Slight resistance when turning either way and no change in resistance even when turning the ring 3-5x around.

There should be a part where it turns smoothly without resistance. Until you get to the end of the focus throw. The focus ring will turn 360 degrees. But there is a clutch underneath the focus ring. It sounds as if your lens is broken. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hmmm... thanks for that info.
Well, my first thought is to look at the configuration of the R7.  Can you please check to see if you have the latest firmware updates for your camera?  If not, I would suggest doing the update and retesting.
The other thing I would suggest is, after saving your current configuration to one of the C modes, is to do a camera reset and check to see how it is then performing.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I have updated the firmware to 1.4.0.  I will do a camera reset today.  I think I'll take it all the way back to factory settings just to be complete.  I will post with the results.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would do the reset and clear all custom settings too. I would not save your current settings because if that is the issue why would you want them back. I also doubt a FW update will accomplish any improvement unless it specifically mentions your specific lens.

Sorry to say but this may be user error.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Will do today...I agree that some of the behavior may be user error (or lens error compounded by user error), but I've been using this lens forever and the lack of being able to focus manually seems outside of the realm of an error on my part.

Announcements