cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens Generates "No Lens Attached" Error on EOS 77D

ssantra
Apprentice

Hello,

I am using a Canon 77D. Yesterday, I bought a Canon 50 mm f/1.8 STM. But when I try to change the aperture it is giving me the message "cannot adjust aperture, No lens attached."  I  have no idea why this is happening. I have a canon EFS 55-250 mm lens, with which I can change the aperture and everything works fine. Please help. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

From personal experience, the mount can be a tiny bit tight when that lens is new. Are you sure it's all the way locked into place? Check out this KnowledgeBase Article for instructions: https://canon.us/45zTmqf 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Since another lens works, this sounds like the 50mm f/1.8 will need to be repaired.  Though due to it's low cost, not sure if the repair would be close to cost of a new lens.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I bought it yesterday.

From personal experience, the mount can be a tiny bit tight when that lens is new. Are you sure it's all the way locked into place? Check out this KnowledgeBase Article for instructions: https://canon.us/45zTmqf 

Oops, didn't catch that detail.  Should be under warranty then if a repair is needed.  But do first check out the article Stephen posted.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Thanks, for the help. I managed to fix it. The lens is brand new so need to remove from the body  and try again. It works now.

Awesome! I'm so glad I could help! 😊

This lens has a power retract feature. When you power the camera down the lens should retract to the storage position (infinity focus). Do Not remove the lens from the camera while powered on. If you remove the lens with the camera powered up. The lens won't retract and cause an error. 

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Only newer cameras made since about 2015 have the lens retract feature. It can be enabled or disabled in the menu. 

The lens retract works with STM Lenses like the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, and EF-M 22mm f/2.0 STM, where the front element moves in and out as you focus. 

I never power off my cameras when changing lenses. I have done this many times, and have never experienced any errors from removing one of these STM lenses while powered on. Can you tell us why you think it will cause an error message? 

Mike Sowsun

I causes an error on my 5D Mark IV & EF 50mm F/1.8 STM. It also causes the camera to lockup too. But doesn't cause the error on my old 40D since it doesn't have the power retract feature. The lens manual tells you to focus the lens to infinity. On older cameras which lack the feature.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
Announcements