cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 50mm f/1.2L USM dust maybe on inside glass

brenden
Apprentice

He there, I just bought this lens from Japan since it's usually your best option for buying a used lens. Overall lens looks great but there is 2 small dust like spots on the inside glass. I took some test shots and haven't noticed anything but was wondering if anyone has ran into this. Should I leave it or maybe even see if canon can clean for a decent price.

I have photos I can send.

2 REPLIES 2

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Brenden and welcome:

Dust in a lens is not going to be an issue, as any lens focusing distance it not close enough to register the dust.  Getting dust into a lens is almost inevitable, especially if it extends to focus or zoom because the air moving in and out of the lens pulls dust with it.
What will impact your photos will be dust on the sensor of your camera and they will show up as dark blobs in your images.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Dust on the inside the lens or on the inside of the front lens objective does not usually interfere with image quality.  If it bothers you that much, you can look into getting it cleaned and calibrated.  

Canon offers these services.  Getting service for gray market items is ultimately up to the servicing facility.  If they have the tools and equipment to service it, they can likely help.  Normally a product has to be registered in the My Canon portal to be eligible.  Since its possible a product cannot be serviced due to (for example) parts availability, buying products intended for sale in another country or region is not something I would recommend.    It may not be the "best option" if you need support or repair.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements