cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 50 mm F/1.8 STM lens error

oliviamas
Apprentice

Hi

I bought the EF 50 mm F/1.8 STM lens and it worked fine for a very short time, but now I keep getting this err 01 message, saying that the communication between the camera and lens is faulty. I looked it up and I was told to just wipe the gold. I did that and it worked for a bit, but now I'm getting this error message again. I don't have this problem with my other lens, which is a Canon EF 85 mm F/1.8 USM. I don't know what to do. The camera body I use is the Canon EOS 7D. Can I still use this lens or should I just buy the same one again? If I have to buy one again, what should I do with this one?

6 REPLIES 6

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I looked it up and I was told to just wipe the gold."

Yeah the stock answer. In fact it rarely to never helps or works. The fact it did for you for a while is more likely just a coincidence of actions. Relating one to the other however in reality they had nothing to do with each other. BTW, if you must try cleaning the lens contacts and also the camera contacts, a qtip in a small amount of alcohol is better. Keep in mind the gold on these contacts is very thin, microns thin. It is very easy to do more damage than help.

As for your lens the best thing is to try it on a different camera. If it works or doesn't you have your answer and a more preferred way to proceed. Unlikely a candidate for repair if found faulty.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi, thanks for your reply. I just think it's really unfortunate, I was so happy I finally had another lens to work with 😞 Do you know what I could do with the lens? I don't have another camera and I can't just throw it in the bin, can I lol Do you think I could bring it somewhere so it could be refurbished?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Unlikely a candidate for repair if found faulty."

The reason it isn't a good move to have it repaired or refurbished is that would cost as  much or more than a full replacement lens. Used 50mm f1.8 lenses don't bring much or cost much and repairs mostly are more expensive.

"I don't have another camera  ..."

Do you have a local camera store, a Best Buy or Costco. How about a local camera club or community college. I have found all of these to be very helpful.

"Do you know what I could do with the lens? "

There is not much you can do except make a paper weight out of it, if it is found to be faulty.  That's needs to be determined first.

EB

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@oliviamas wrote:

Hi

I bought the EF 50 mm F/1.8 STM lens and it worked fine for a very short time, but now I keep getting this err 01 message, saying that the communication between the camera and lens is faulty. I looked it up and I was told to just wipe the gold. I did that and it worked for a bit, but now I'm getting this error message again. I don't have this problem with my other lens, which is a Canon EF 85 mm F/1.8 USM. I don't know what to do. The camera body I use is the Canon EOS 7D. Can I still use this lens or should I just buy the same one again? If I have to buy one again, what should I do with this one?

" it worked fine for a very short time, but now I keep getting this err 01"

How long ago did you purchase it? Was it a new product or used? If new and less than a year old it should be under Canon warranty if you have the proof of purchase.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, M200, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, Lr Classic

Hi

It was a new product. I'll bring it back to the store and see what's next.

Thank you!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I'll bring it back to the store and see what's next."

What store? I assumed, I don't know why, that this was a used lens. The first course of action is to return it, if it is less than a year from purchase. However if the store doesn't accept returns then Canon warranty can be used. But and a big but, the store has to be an authorized Canon USA retailer. If it is not Canon USA will not warranty it.

EB
click here to view the gallery
Announcements