cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 24-70 2.8L II USM Zoom Issue… Worth Repairing???

SJ7
Contributor

Greetings everyone!

My 24-70 2.8L II USM lens no longer zooms. The zoom ring only moves from 35-70 mm and the lens itself is internally stuck at 50 mm (I can only shoot at 50 mm with this lens). The focus ring appears to be fine.

Canon’s cost to repair this lens is $600 + tax and shipping. At that amount, I’m wondering if I should bother getting the lens repaired. I used the lens with my 6D Mark II (EF mount) and R5 (RF mount with adapter). It was one of my favorite lenses! (I also have an RF 24-105 4L but I’m not too fond of it 🥴)

Curious to know your thoughts! Do you all think repairing the lens is worth it? Or should I save that money to go towards an RF 24-70 2.8L ? 

13 REPLIES 13

@Talijan wrote:

It's probably late but there's a couple of videos on youtube showing how to repair this. You can even do it by forcing it to 24mm position, but It's not neccessary. The repair is easy and straightforward, no need to waste $600. 

"The repair is easy and straight forward".   Famous last words. Yes, its easy for Canon who is trained to disassemble and reassemble your lens and replace anything that's broken.

The number of posts that we see from people who thought they could far exceed those who actually do. Or they have parts left over.  Do as you wish, but my suggestion is let Canon do it.  Repairs come with a warranty too.  😉       

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Have you watched the video at all? It's literally a 30 minute job if you do it carefully, less than 10 screws and 5 flat cables. I did way more complicated 5 hour repairs with much smaller components, and I do that rarely, it has nothing to do with what I do or my skills. I understand that there are people who will spend $600 on this out of fear, it's like people paying $1200 for a $200 car battery replacement at the dealership 🙂 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Yes, it is worth repairing."

Why is that true? Can you buy a good working EF 24-70 2.8L II USM for $600 bucks. That pretty much answers your question doesn't it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have to agree with Rick. Unless you have good mechanical ability and/or have technical knowledge of lenses this is best left to Canon. It is almost impossible for the average guy to know if the damage is deeper. Canon will check all of it out before returning it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements