cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 24-105 f/4L Flaring/Ghosting Issue

benspires
Apprentice

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice about this lens I purchased a couple of months ago.

I seem to get excessive flaring and ghosting when shooting in bright light. I do expect to get some of these artifacts especially when shooting directly in to the sun but I'm concerned there may be an issue with the copy I have. I've seen that some of the older models suffered from this but the date code on this one is from 2013. 

This was taken with no filters and hood on at f/16 on my 60D - I would expect the starring to be more defined at this aperture, and I wouldn't expect to see the flare in the trees on the left: 

_-2.jpg

Here's another, this time with the sun out of shot:

_-3.jpg

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

Ben

2 REPLIES 2

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

I can't say for sure if that flare is excessive as almost any lens will flare under the right conditions. Here is some info on the original Canon recall: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/canon-flare.shtml

If it is still on Warranty I would send it in just to be sure. 

Here is what Canon said about it way back then:  

From Canon USA

We have recently discovered a problem with early production samples of the 
EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens in which flare occurs at an unacceptable level under 
certain conditions. The flare is most obvious in the wide zoom and wide aperture 
settings.

Mike Sowsun

Mykolas
Authority

benspires,

For your reference, the complete service advisory is posted on our website.  Please refer to the following link:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/professional/lenses/ef_lenses/ef_24_105mm_f_4l_is_usm?pageKeyC...

If you have one of the affected lenses, you will need to contact our Customer Support Center.  The contact information is listed at the bottom of the service advisory.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements