cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 200-400mm f/4L IS - Best Wildlife Lens

MichaelDanielHo
Enthusiast

EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x Lens with EOS-1 D X Camera

This revolutionary and versatile wildlife lens has been released. I have taken delivery now and have written a preliminary review of this production lens. Once I have put it through a few wildlife photo shoots, I will write a more detailed review. This lens is a wildlife photographer's dream when used with the EOS-1D X camera. Take a look at my review below. Keep checking back.  MichaelDanielHo.com

Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x Lens Review

Canon EOS-1D X Camera Review

53 REPLIES 53

The EF 200-400mm f/4l IS USM Extender 1.4x lens has arrived in the US and Canada. Some dealers should be getting their shipment perhaps this week. I may get my lens (hopefully) by the first or second week of June.

Canon has released new Firmwares for the EOS-1D Mk IV and EOS-1Ds Mk III cameras to support the new lens. You can read my post and download the software here 

MichaelDanielHo.com 

Talking about software.  Can I update the 200-400mm software without having to send it to the Canon Service facility.  

@Edward wrote:

Talking about software.  Can I update the 200-400mm software without having to send it to the Canon Service facility.  

Hi Edward, Canon does not have any programmable software built into their lenses. All firmware updates occur on the camera itself. I should be getting my EF 200-400mm next week. The Memorial Day holiday messed things up a bit for the US. People who pre-ordered in Canada actually got their lenses already. http://MichaelDanielHo.com

Michael:  Refer to my post of 2/18/13 under lenses regarding the 400 mm. When I asked as to upgrading the software for the 400 mm f 2.8 IS MKII in response to a Canon advisory notice, Mike, the Canon's product expert responded and subsequently, Tim also responded (2/22/13) stating that the only lens that can have its software updated without sending it to Canon Factory Service is the new 40mm f 2.8.

So far, I do not know of any Canon comments as to the posibility of having the 200-400 software updated without sending it to Canon Factory Service.  That is why I asked.

Waiting to hear about your comments once you test your new 200-400 mm.

Respectfully,

@Edward wrote:

Michael:  Refer to my post of 2/18/13 under lenses regarding the 400 mm. When I asked as to upgrading the software for the 400 mm f 2.8 IS MKII in response to a Canon advisory notice, Mike, the Canon's product expert responded and subsequently, Tim also responded (2/22/13) stating that the only lens that can have its software updated without sending it to Canon Factory Service is the new 40mm f 2.8.

So far, I do not know of any Canon comments as to the posibility of having the 200-400 software updated without sending it to Canon Factory Service.  That is why I asked.

Respectfully,

Sorry for the misunderstanding, Edward. Now I understand what you meant. Yes, there was a factory bulletin to address all the Series II Super Telephoto lenses a few months ago. The update has to be performed by the Service Center with specialized equipment. I meant there are no firmware updates a customer can perform on any Canon lens. If there is a firmware update for the EF 200-400mm in the future, the same will happen but thankfully I live only about an hour's drive from the Service Center. Mailing a big lens like that back to Canon is no easy feat.

@Edward wrote:

Respectfully,

@hi Edward. The Victoria Crowned Crane 100% cropped photo was taken handheld with the built-in extender engaged, from about 40 feet away @ f/5.6, AI Servo, IS Mode 1. I wanted to test how good the lens is wide open and without a tripod. You can read my review of the lens here.

EF 200-400mm f/4L Review

100% cropped Victoria Crowned Crane  

Beautiful shot!

Can someone explain exactly how the "playback ring" is used when you are taking still photos? The instruction manual seems to ipmly that it is used only when taking movies. Is that true?

@powaysteve wrote:

Can someone explain exactly how the "playback ring" is used when you are taking still photos? The instruction manual seems to ipmly that it is used only when taking movies. Is that true?

The explanation from CPN is the playback ring is supposed to give a 'smoother' transition (compared to the manual focus ring) zooming in and out, whether in video or still mode. Just like the new IS Mode 3 is supposed to give a more Image stabilized shot at the moment of the shutter release. To be honest, I see no improvement in practice. Many of these high end equipment come with so called advanced features that I see no tangible benefit. Went out with the EF 200-400mm lens today and used it on the EOS-7D. The bird photos taken from a distance with the extender on (tripod and handheld) are not good at all. The closer up photos are fine, don't have an explanation for it right now.  http://MichaelDanielHo.com

MichaelDanielHo: Your last post is interesting since in previous posts you spoke very highly of the lens. Any idea what was different?

Announcements