cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 100-400 Auto Focus does not work.

ccobb66
Apprentice

I have an EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM.  The Auto Focus does not work.  When I turn the camera on the letters MF flashes in the window on the back.  The lens is set to AutoFocus and when I change it to ONE SHOOT or AL SERVO it flashes a message that says "Set the focus mode switch on the lens to AF"  which it is already there.  If I switch the lens to MF - it does not flash.   

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum.

From your description it sounds like the switch has possibly failed.

Try cycling the switch a few times to possible clean contacts.

Also remove and replace the lens a few times as well.

If that doesn't resolve the problem it will probably need service.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...  it will probably need service."   Sorry. Smiley Sad

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you. That is what I thought also.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"When I turn the camera on the letters MF flashes in the window on the back."

This tells you it isn't any contact(s).  It is making connection for that to happen. Hopefully is it just the AF/MF switch. That will be an easy and fairly inexpensive fix. Plus your lens will come back looking brand new. Canon will also check out the rest of the lens to new specs.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you.  Sent it off yesterday and I already miss it.  

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@ccobb66 wrote:

I have an EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM.  The Auto Focus does not work.  When I turn the camera on the letters MF flashes in the window on the back.  The lens is set to AutoFocus and when I change it to ONE SHOOT or AL SERVO it flashes a message that says "Set the focus mode switch on the lens to AF"  which it is already there.  If I switch the lens to MF - it does not flash.   

Are you using a Canon body?  Those are some unusual messages.  Sounds like you have a non-Canon body and a bad or wrong type of mount adapter, to me.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements